Spice connection audio problem

tianmo

Apr 27, 2018
I encountered a problem when using spice to connect my win10 VM. I added an intel hda virtual sound card to the win10 VM. The spice is connected to the VM. When I open an audio, I can hear the sound, but once I turn off the audio, When I open another audio, there is no more sound. Unless I close the spice client and then reconnect to the VM with the spice client, I can hear the sound again. Similarly, once I turn off or switch another audio, I can't hear the sound again.Oh, yes, not only the win10 VM, I also tried to connect to the Linux VM with the spice client, and it has the same problem. What is the problem? Does anyone know how to solve it? thank you very much

Last edited:
Yes, I tested adding the AC97 virtual sound card, but my win10 VM can't recognize this virtual sound card. Unable to install the driver.

this works for me:

Code:
args: -device intel-hda,id=sound5,bus=pci.0,addr=0x18 -device hda-micro,id=sound5-codec0,bus=sound5.0,cad=0 -device hda-duplex,id=sound5-codec1,bus=sound5.0,cad=1

this works for me:

Code:
args: -device intel-hda,id=sound5,bus=pci.0,addr=0x18 -device hda-micro,id=sound5-codec0,bus=sound5.0,cad=0 -device hda-duplex,id=sound5-codec1,bus=sound5.0,cad=1
Yes, this does work. But as I said, only the first play with the spice client connection can hear the sound, as long as I switch other audio, I can't hear any sound. Unless I close the spice connection and reconnect it, I can hear the sound again, and I can only listen once.

I´ve got the same issue ...

I added (to /etc/pve/qemu-server/100.conf) VM 100 is a Win10 machine this line:

Device Manager in Windows shows a Audi Interface and all drivers are installed ...
The first startet audio is playing but if I switch no further audio is played ...

It is the same Problem with Windows 8.1 ...

Adding the args: -device AC97,addr=0x18 parameter leads to a waring triangle in the device manager and I could not install any driver (even I coulnd find a driver ...) .... Sound also not working

Any idea?

if you use virt-viewer 8 this seems to be a bug there see
i opened this bug with redhat a while ago but sadly got no answer

O.k. if it is "just a bug" of virt-viewer Version 8, I´ll later try an older Version maybe I´m lucky with Version 7 ...

I´ll found the older virt-viewer still could be downloaded

Thx so far for quick reacation - I´ll try it later an let you know ...

Tryed it with an older virt-viewer (Vers. 5) and yes I have audio now with W10 (1903) - thx so far!

I would agree there is a bug issue with virt-viewer-x64-8.0.

My environment Proxmox-ve: 6.0-2 (running kernel: 5.0.15-1-pve) as the host.
Window 7x64 guest running spice and using the code below added to my 000.conf file:
Code:

The workstation I'm using to remote connect to my guest is Windows 10x64 (1809). With virt-viewer-x64-8.0 the Windows start up sound would be audible when the guest vm started, but nothing after. I uninstalled version 8.0, downloaded and installed virt-viewer-x64-7.0. Sound is now working consistently.

Previous releases of virt-viewer can be found here.

Reactions: mediacj
Yes, I had the same problem where the sound would only play the first time. I'm remoting in from Windows 10 to an Arch Linux guest.
I downgraded from virt-viewer 8.0-256 to 7.0-256 and the problem was fixed.
Hopefully, this gets fixed soon!

I also found downgrading to 7.0 resolved the audio problem.
I have just noticed a new 9.0 release, I upgraded to that on one of my Win10 64bit virtviewer machines and it still has the audio issue, it produces some poor quality sound / static for a few seconds, then no audio from then on, the same as version 8.0 :(
On another windows 10 64 bit machine I tried with the same already running VM instance but with virtviewer 7.0 and the audio still working fine and remains good.
This must be reasonably resolvable.

Folks Upgrade to VirtViewer 10

and unzip the attached file into the folder "C:\Program Files\VirtViewer v10.0-256\lib\gstreamer-1.0" and try to play audio.

it works for me. I am running Windows 10 64Bit as the client and the spice guest

Attachments

• libgstcoreelements.zip
    208.4 KB · Views: 173
Folks Upgrade to VirtViewer 10

and unzip the attached file into the folder "C:\Program Files\VirtViewer v10.0-256\lib\gstreamer-1.0" and try to play audio.

it works for me. I am running Windows 10 64Bit as the client and the spice guest
Worked Perfect. Thank You. Where are these files from and do you know why they are missing?

I think the information comes from here on the forum. Maybe it is common knowledge for people who have used Windows SPICE client since version 7, which is the last version that worked with audio?
I had not found it here, actually did not find this. I broke my head for over 4 hours and after viewing multiple forums and research found this.

then I thought of posting this in proxmox forums so that somebody else does not face this and I found this thread and replied with the required files so that one does not have to install the required versions and waste time :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!