Spice connection audio problem

tianmo

Apr 27, 2018
I encountered a problem when using spice to connect my win10 VM. I added an intel hda virtual sound card to the win10 VM. The spice is connected to the VM. When I open an audio, I can hear the sound, but once I turn off the audio, When I open another audio, there is no more sound. Unless I close the spice client and then reconnect to the VM with the spice client, I can hear the sound again. Similarly, once I turn off or switch another audio, I can't hear the sound again.Oh, yes, not only the win10 VM, I also tried to connect to the Linux VM with the spice client, and it has the same problem. What is the problem? Does anyone know how to solve it? thank you very much

Last edited:

tom

Proxmox Staff Member
Staff member
Aug 29, 2006
Yes, I tested adding the AC97 virtual sound card, but my win10 VM can't recognize this virtual sound card. Unable to install the driver.
this works for me:

Code:
args: -device intel-hda,id=sound5,bus=pci.0,addr=0x18 -device hda-micro,id=sound5-codec0,bus=sound5.0,cad=0 -device hda-duplex,id=sound5-codec1,bus=sound5.0,cad=1

tianmo

Apr 27, 2018
this works for me:

Code:
args: -device intel-hda,id=sound5,bus=pci.0,addr=0x18 -device hda-micro,id=sound5-codec0,bus=sound5.0,cad=0 -device hda-duplex,id=sound5-codec1,bus=sound5.0,cad=1
Yes, this does work. But as I said, only the first play with the spice client connection can hear the sound, as long as I switch other audio, I can't hear any sound. Unless I close the spice connection and reconnect it, I can hear the sound again, and I can only listen once.

jostwi

Jun 30, 2019
I´ve got the same issue ...

I added (to /etc/pve/qemu-server/100.conf) VM 100 is a Win10 machine this line:

Device Manager in Windows shows a Audi Interface and all drivers are installed ...
The first startet audio is playing but if I switch no further audio is played ...

It is the same Problem with Windows 8.1 ...

Adding the args: -device AC97,addr=0x18 parameter leads to a waring triangle in the device manager and I could not install any driver (even I coulnd find a driver ...) .... Sound also not working

Any idea?

jostwi

Jun 30, 2019
if you use virt-viewer 8 this seems to be a bug there see
i opened this bug with redhat a while ago but sadly got no answer
O.k. if it is "just a bug" of virt-viewer Version 8, I´ll later try an older Version maybe I´m lucky with Version 7 ...

I´ll found the older virt-viewer still could be downloaded

Thx so far for quick reacation - I´ll try it later an let you know ...

jostwi

Jun 30, 2019
Tryed it with an older virt-viewer (Vers. 5) and yes I have audio now with W10 (1903) - thx so far!

Frederico Siena

Jan 14, 2019
this works for me:

Code:
Realy, works fine.
Tanks

I would agree there is a bug issue with virt-viewer-x64-8.0.

My environment Proxmox-ve: 6.0-2 (running kernel: 5.0.15-1-pve) as the host.
Window 7x64 guest running spice and using the code below added to my 000.conf file:
Code:
The workstation I'm using to remote connect to my guest is Windows 10x64 (1809). With virt-viewer-x64-8.0 the Windows start up sound would be audible when the guest vm started, but nothing after. I uninstalled version 8.0, downloaded and installed virt-viewer-x64-7.0. Sound is now working consistently.

Previous releases of virt-viewer can be found here.

Reactions: mediacj

dcsapak

Proxmox Staff Member
Staff member
Feb 1, 2016
Vienna

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE and Proxmox Mail Gateway. We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get your own in 60 seconds.

Buy now!