[SOLVED] virt-viewer 10.0.256 unable to hear sound from Windows 10 client to ProxMox Linux VM

variableman

Jun 14, 2021
I'm running ProxMox on a Dell R720. I physically separated from the server and running the ProxMox interface on Chrome from a Windows 10 client. I have the spice Remote Viewer installed on this client. Additionally, on each of the linux installation, I have installed spice-vdagent and it is enabled and running.

I've seen many questions about using sound on a Linux VM via ProxMox. I understand the need to use Spice as a conduit for sound in this case. When I remote into any of the linux machines using Spice, the sound card shows up but no sound makes it back to the client machine.

I would really appreciate any help that can be provided. It may very well be that I don't understand how this fully works. Is it because my Dell R720 is the middle man with no sound card of its own? Is sound being passed back to it and not getting any further?

Thanks, I'm including a sample of a vm that I have set up. Cheers.

Untitled.png

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    104.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
It works for me on a desktop Ubuntu 20.04 with the same VM setting and using virt-viewer as SPICE client. I just tried the Windows virt-viewer 10.0-1.0 and I also did not hear any VM sounds on Windows (even though the Windows speaker tests did produce sound). It appears to be a Windows SPICE client issue. Maybe someone else knows how to get it working on Windows?

With a PopOS VM I had to open pavucontrol and in the "Configuration" tab set the profile to either to "Stereo Output" or "Stereo Duplex" if you need input as well. The default profile for some reason has been set to "Stereo Input" which would only use the audio device as input device.

Once I set it to output or duplex, I was able to hear audio via the virt-viewer.

With a PopOS VM I had to open pavucontrol and in the "Configuration" tab set the profile to either to "Stereo Output" or "Stereo Duplex" if you need input as well. The default profile for some reason has been set to "Stereo Input" which would only use the audio device as input device.

Once I set it to output or duplex, I was able to hear audio via the virt-viewer.
With the same VM and with the same settings, I do have sound with a Linux virt-viewer but no sound with a Windows virt-viewer, which I believe is the original posters problem (but please correct me if I'm mistaken). Do you think making changes inside a Linux VM will fix this problem with a Windows client? (Sorry, I can't test this at the moment.)

I do have sound with a Linux virt-viewer but no sound with a Windows virt-viewer, which I believe is the original posters problem (but please correct me if I'm mistaken).
Oh yeah, thanks for pointing that out. Well, I grabbed one of our test laptops with a Windows on it and yep, seems like current versions of the Windows version of virt-viewer do have some audio problems.

According to some threads in the forum here and a blog post I found, the last version that has working audio on Windows is 7.

I did test it and yes, version 7 of virt-viewer on Windows does seem to have working audio. Older versions can be found here on the virt-viewer web page: https://releases.pagure.org/virt-viewer/

MY previous answer regarding PopOS might still hold true though.

Thanks for the replies. I am indeed trying to get sound on a Windows 10 client. I'll give pavucontrol a shot and provide feedback!

[UPDATE] No luck with pavucontrol. I'm going to rollback the virt viewer and see if that fixes the problem.

Last edited:
I followed the instructions posted here: How to Fix Windows virt-viewer 10.0 no sound/audio issue

I works just fine. The end result is virt-viewer 10.0.256 being able to transport sound from a Linux VM back to a Windows 10 client running virt-viewer. I was initially suspect because the files gathered and placed into the 10.0 install weren't replacements for files but were instead additions. Turned out not to be an issue.

Thanks to everyone who got involved. Much appreciated! Renaming title of thread to capture problem and fix.

Last edited:
Reactions: aaron and leesteken

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!