[SOLVED] slow performance caused by ZFS trimming

nhand42

Jan 17, 2019
This issue has been solved. This thread is for anybody having slow I/O performance and searching for keywords. The cause might be ZFS trimming the rpool. I’m running proxmox version 7.3-1 on a Supermicro A2SDi-8C+-HLN4F with HP SSD EX920 1TB for the rpool.

My proxmox node was unresponsive. VMs were showing 100% CPU in TGTD (the scsi target). Containers were completely dead. Logins to the hypervisor with SSH taking about a minute and running commands taking many seconds. I rebooted the server and it took over 10 minutes to boot instead of the normal 30 seconds, some of the startup services timing out, and no improvement afterwards. I then power cycled the server with the same result.

Fearing a hardware failure I checked smartctl but the NVMe is healthy. I then checked the ZFS rpool. This gave the first hint of the problem.

Code:
# zpool status rpool
  pool: rpool
 state: ONLINE
  scan: scrub repaired 0B in 00:10:43 with 0 errors on Sun Jan  8 00:34:44 2023
config:

NAME         STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        rpool        ONLINE       0     0     0
          nvme0n1p2  ONLINE       0     0     0         (trimming)

That trimming keyword is unexpected. I cancelled the trim operation using

Code:
zpool trim -c rpool

And rebooted and everything is back to normal. I’m not sure how common this problem is as this is the first time I’ve seen it. It has been trimming for years without any problems and usually finishes in a few minutes. In this case ZFS somehow got stuck trimming and tanked I/O performance, even across reboots and power cycles. Hopefully this helps anybody else with the same problem.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!