Share a virtual drive amongst multiple VMs?

HyPX

Nov 23, 2020
I'd like to create a virtual hard drive and mount it to multiple VMs, some with read-only access. I do not want to share anything with the host and do not want to use networking to accomplish this.

Is this something that's possible? Thanks.

Never tried, but in principle you could add that disk to the first VM, format that disk with a file system that supports multiple access/mount ("clustered file system", maybe https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GFS2 but I've no idea, never used one), manually edit the config of the second VM and add the storage referencing the disk on the first VM and so on.
Please report back, I'm curious :)

Thanks for the suggestion, sounds like an interesting idea. I'll have a go, but it seems to be rather complicated - I'm looking at a guide on how to format to a GFS2 filesystem but it's talking about clustered logical volumes and other things which I have no idea about lol!

Last edited:
Why not using network shares? Create a NAS VM serving SMB/NFS to your other VMs so they can share folders of a virtual HDD you add to your NAS VM.

Why not using network shares? Create a NAS VM serving SMB/NFS to your other VMs so they can share folders of a virtual HDD you add to your NAS VM.
I'm looking to have one main VM manage some configuration files which the other VMs will read (but not modify). I don't want them each connected to over the network, so from their point of view the main VM doesn't exist and the configuration files are being changed like magic lol.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!