Seeking support for using qm create and specifying a bridge

TJ Zimmerman

Apr 8, 2018
Seattle
tjzimmerman.com
Hello Proxmox team, I have been trying to provision a VM to use a network bridge all evening unsucessfully.

The following commands create a working VM that is configured via cloud-init. This works great and the VM starts up just fine. However, the `/etc/resolv.conf` file contains a nameserver entry for `10.0.2.3`. I understand this information is injected when a NAT interface is configured because a Bridge interface is not specified. However, if you look in the `--net0` part of the `qm create` command, you can see that I am, in fact, specifying a Bridge interface. Do I have the syntax wrong?

Code:
qm create 170 --cores 2 --memory 4096 --net0 "virtio,bridge=vmbr0" --ipconfig0 "gw=192.168.1.1,ip=192.168.1.170/24" --nameserver 192.168.1.10 --searchdomain "sol.milkyway" --sshkeys /root/.ssh/sol.milkyway.kubernetes.pub

#URL has been removed from this command since I am a new user and unable to post them.
wget CentOS-7-x86_64-GenericCloud.qcow2c -O /tmp/CentOS7.qcow2c

qm importdisk 170 /tmp/CentOS7.qcow2c Proxmox_lvm-thin

qm set 170 --scsihw virtio-scsi-pci --scsi0 Proxmox_lvm-thin:vm-170-disk-0

qm resize 170 scsi0 50G

qm set 170 --ide2 Proxmox_lvm-thin:cloudinit

qm set 170 --boot c --bootdisk scsi0

qm start 170

I know this seems like a minor issue. But I'm doing this all through Ansible. And since SSHD sets the `UseDNS` directive to `yes` by default, this means that Ansible times out when attempting to connect the first time because a reverse DNS lookup fails due to `10.0.2.3` not being a valid nameserver on my network.

[centos@VM170 ~]$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
; Created by cloud-init on instance boot automatically, do not edit.
;
# Generated by NetworkManager
nameserver 10.0.2.3
nameserver 192.168.1.10
search sol.milkyway

Thank you for your time.

If you search Server Fault for the post titled:

Ansible fails at “Gathering hosts” presumably because SSH is slow to connect. Setting `UseDNS no` resolves the issue

You'll be able see a few hours worth of troubleshooting that I performed before coming to this conclusion. If you need additional context on the issue.

# Generated by NetworkManager
this is under control by cloudinit/network manager, there is not much we can do beside give cloudinit those informations
try to use a newer cloudinit version, since most versions shipped in the distros are broken in various ways

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!