Seeking support for using qm create and specifying a bridge

Discussion in 'Proxmox VE: Installation and configuration' started by TJ Zimmerman, Oct 27, 2018.

1. TJ Zimmerman

TJ Zimmerman New Member

Hello Proxmox team, I have been trying to provision a VM to use a network bridge all evening unsucessfully.

The following commands create a working VM that is configured via cloud-init. This works great and the VM starts up just fine. However, the `/etc/resolv.conf` file contains a nameserver entry for `10.0.2.3`. I understand this information is injected when a NAT interface is configured because a Bridge interface is not specified. However, if you look in the `--net0` part of the `qm create` command, you can see that I am, in fact, specifying a Bridge interface. Do I have the syntax wrong?

Code:
    qm create 170 --cores 2 --memory 4096 --net0 "virtio,bridge=vmbr0" --ipconfig0 "gw=192.168.1.1,ip=192.168.1.170/24" --nameserver 192.168.1.10 --searchdomain "sol.milkyway" --sshkeys /root/.ssh/sol.milkyway.kubernetes.pub

#URL has been removed from this command since I am a new user and unable to post them.
    wget CentOS-7-x86_64-GenericCloud.qcow2c -O /tmp/CentOS7.qcow2c

qm importdisk 170 /tmp/CentOS7.qcow2c Proxmox_lvm-thin

qm set 170 --scsihw virtio-scsi-pci --scsi0 Proxmox_lvm-thin:vm-170-disk-0

qm resize 170 scsi0 50G

qm set 170 --ide2 Proxmox_lvm-thin:cloudinit

qm set 170 --boot c --bootdisk scsi0

qm start 170
    I know this seems like a minor issue. But I'm doing this all through Ansible. And since SSHD sets the `UseDNS` directive to `yes` by default, this means that Ansible times out when attempting to connect the first time because a reverse DNS lookup fails due to `10.0.2.3` not being a valid nameserver on my network.

Thank you for your time.

2. TJ Zimmerman

TJ Zimmerman New Member

If you search Server Fault for the post titled:

You'll be able see a few hours worth of troubleshooting that I performed before coming to this conclusion. If you need additional context on the issue.

3. dcsapak

dcsapak Proxmox Staff Member
    Staff Member

this is under control by cloudinit/network manager, there is not much we can do beside give cloudinit those informations
    try to use a newer cloudinit version, since most versions shipped in the distros are broken in various ways

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice