remote sftp & SSH

wmo

Jun 18, 2018
greetings !... is it possible to connect to a guest (CT or VM) using SFTP i.e. via a remote MacOS terminal outside of the Datacenter ? Basically I am trying to work with the folder structure and files directly using a terminal or IDE or FTP client... without going via the host... same applies for Databases... how would I connect sequelpro for example ?

Yes, sure ... you need to have a working connection via routing, nat, vpn or else. Simplest idea would be sshfs to mount a remote filesystem hierarchy on your guest.

thank you ... sounds good ... where do I start ;-)

I guess I need to download FUSE for macOS... still confused how I would access the CT ... apologies... obviously a rookie

fyi... single ip with NAT and nginx reverse proxy

Last edited:
thank you ... sounds good ... where do I start ;-)

I guess I need to download FUSE for macOS... still confused how I would access the CT ... apologies... obviously a rookie

fyi... single ip with NAT and nginx reverse proxy

If your container is accessible via SSH, it's a breeze ... just create a incoming port forward to your container like this:

Code:
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d <public-ip> -p tcp --dport 65432 -j DNAT --to-destination 1.2.3.4:56789

Best would be to have a real VPN to connect through only one exposed port to your internal network and do the rest from there. We use one port to connect to a VM/container which is running a VPN software. This is more secure than just forward everything.

If you have always the same of a special source IP range, i'd suggest to add the -s flag to the above command to have better control over incoming connections.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!