Re install OS to recover VM without losing Data

you-adn

Feb 18, 2022
Hi There.
as shown in the attached, The OS wouldn't boot ( ubuntu ) and the only way is to re install the OS, But unfortunately my back wasn't up to date.
IF I go to the actual VM, and attache ISO file in order to re install the OS, would that mess up my data ( Hard drive - zfs-local ) ? where I re install the OS, boot, and be able to access same Files/data ( 3TB ) ?
Please advise . Thanks in advance.

Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 12.15.08 AM.png

If you just want to get access to your files you could:
1.) Make sure the VM is shutdown, then mount that zvol directly on your PVE host (using something like mount -t YourUsedFilesystem /dev/zvol/zfs-local/vm-104-disk-0 /mnt/vm104disk0), copy your files and then unmount it again (umount /mnt/vm104disk0).
2.) alternativly you could insert a Linux Live CD in your virtual CD drive of the VM, then boot that Live Linux in RAM so you can use it without actually needing to install it. Then use that Live Linux to copy your data to a network share. You could also chroot into your old system.

Last edited:
Thanks lot !
so I cloned the VM then re installed the os on the clone. where I still have the data plus added hard disk for just the os. it boots correctly now (the clone ).
I was able to mount the other H disk ( contains data ) but wasn't able to find / see the actual data
am I missing a step ?
Thanks Again !

Screen Shot 2022-02-18 at 8.55.27 AM.png

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!