Raidz0 configuration

dabaers

Oct 9, 2021
Hey all, hopefully a quick answer. I am looking to get 3 SSD's into raidz0, this will be a vm pool to reduce the ridiculous io delay I have now. I do have a solid redundancy strategy and backup system already in place. Would someone be able to point me to the cli commands or gui setup to make this happen, I am having a hard time finding a clear answer. Thank you as always.

What do you mean? You mean a stripe, so similar to a traditional raid0? That would be what PVE calls raid level "Single Disk" under "YourNode -> Disks -> ZFS -> Create: ZFS".

Alternatively you could do that using the CLI. See the "zpool create" command: https://openzfs.github.io/openzfs-docs/man/8/zpool-create.8.html

So something like zpool create -f -o ashift=12 UnreliablePool /dev/disk/by-id/YourFirstSSD /dev/disk/by-id/YourSecondSSD /dev/disk/by-id/YourThirdSSD and then adding a new storage with pvesm add zfspool UnreliableVMStorage --blocksize 16K --content rootdir,images --pool UnreliablePool --sparse 1 --mountpoint /UnreliablePool

Also keep in mind that you will need to keep your backups for longer than what you set up as scrub interval, as a raid0 won't offer any bit rot protection (just bit rot detection, but it can't fix data corruption).

Last edited:
What do you mean? You mean a stripe, so similar to a traditional raid0? What would be what PVE calls Raid level "Single Disk" under "YourNode -> Disks -> ZFS -> Create: ZFS".

Alternatively you could do that using the CLI. See the "zpool create" command: https://openzfs.github.io/openzfs-docs/man/8/zpool-create.8.html

So something like zpool create -f -o ashift=12 UnreliablePool /dev/disk/by-id/YourFirstSSD /dev/disk/by-id/YourSecondSSD /dev/disk/by-id/YourThirdSSD and then adding a new storage with pvesm add zfspool UnreliableVMStorage --blocksize 16K --content rootdir,images --pool UnreliablePool --sparse 1 --mountpoint /UnreliablePool

Also keep in mind that you will need to keep your backups for longer than what you set up as scrub interval, as a raid0 won't offer any bit rot protection (just bit rot detection, but it can't fix data corruption).
This exactly what I needed thank you for the help!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!