kenyoukenme

Aug 27, 2019
Hi all.

Im very new to proxmox but i need to simulate a cluster in my physical [proxmox] server.

Reasons for doing this simulation/test are : test HA, test live migration, test ceph storage, 4 nodes HA amongst others.

Here are my objectives (feel free to tell me anything i missed):

a. create five nodes and create a private network for HA
b. create a shared storage (ceph)
c. setup A - put 5 nodes them in a HA cluster. setup B - 3 nodes in HA, 1 non-HA voting node

Im overhwelmed and dont know where to start (tho ive read the necessary docs and wikis for this), so far what ive done is enabled nested virtualization and create one nested node with a vm inside (for template/clone).

Now, i wanna know what are the general procedure to achieve this (e.g. first i need to create shared storage, then create nodes and add private network, then create a cluster etc).

Any help would be appreciated :)

P.S. yes ive tried the HA simulation from proxmox
im clueless on how to create the virtual private network / vlan, do i need two nics or should i use two interface in one nic. does ceph needs another network

Thanks guys :)

If you don't want your nested Proxmox nodes to access the regular network you can create a bridge on the physical node and don't assign any bridge_ports to it.

With this you can recreate many situations. If you need shared storage via NFS or Cifs, create another VM that plays file server.

To test out multiple NICs to separate traffic (Ceph, corosync, ...) create more bridges and network interfaces connected to them for the nested nodes.

Reactions: velocity08
Thanks aaron , i was able to create the setup (albeit with lots of trial and errors and flipping from one documentation to another haha)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!