[SOLVED] Prune & GC & Verify on encrypted Backups and are the Backups still incremental

Pablo1732

Dec 25, 2021
Hello,
I want to store the backups of my PVE encrypted on my PBS. I am now wondering whether the pbs can still run a prune/verify/gc on the backups, since the pbs does not have an encryption key? My second question is whether the backups are still incremental at all?

Last edited:
Hello,
I want to store the backups of my PVE encrypted on my PBS. I am now wondering whether the pbs can still run a prune/verify/gc on the backups, since the pbs does not have an encryption key?
yes
My second question is whether the backups are still incremental at all?
yes

to clarify a bit, the verify on the pbs only checks the crc checksum of the chunks not the content + chunk hash (for obvious reasons) so there is some downside to this,
but as the client does the incremental tracking, this still works

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!