[SOLVED] Proxmox Won't Boot with Latest Kernel 5.13.19-2-pve

Hi folks,

I can confirm that after having installed pve-kernel-5.15 HP on my MicroServer Gen 10 with AMD Opteron(tm) X3421 APU CPU the following problems don't occur anymore:
  • the systems boots again
  • the problems mentioned in this thread are also fixed
For me installing pve-kernel-5.15 is the best way to keep PVE booting with the most current kernel because I don't have to
  • revert to kernel 5.13.19-1-pve
  • use apt-mark hold 'pve-kernel-5.13'
  • poke in grub
I just run apt update && apt install pve-kernel-5.15 reboot and I'm done.

Greetinx

moose

Reactions: tauceti
Hi guys
I installed pve-kernel-5.15 like did tom, Kephin and moose (and so on) on a HP microserver G10 with AMD Opteron X3216 and it works again
Thanks

Wow, thanks guys, especially Tauceti for finding a solution so quickly and David for putting the summary.
I also have an AMD Ryzen 5 4500U PC and was way off in my (bad) analysis, was checking network setup as I wasn't being able to connect at all, not even though ssh... when I was able to get it working by using 5.13.19-1-pve, it got me on track that it was not a network issue, and to find this extremely useful post.
thanks again!

Same for me.
I also updated proxmox / debian updated to lastest version and the system is now booting but with no ethernet working: the gigabit port LED is dead, the 2.5 gigabit port is blinking but no traffic, error message during initialize of kernel time out during network initialization.

reboot also not working correctly. The issue seems to hangup the complete system.

Also had issues with the bios POST.
3 out of 4 times only cursor and not booting. Same with other RAM chips. Power disconnect and wait a couple of minutes does not help. suddenly starts working again and all is well on other kernel.

hope a solution will be found soon.

Hi All,

Apologies for the delayed Update, I've been away on Work.

I can confirm that the Install of the Meta Package PVE Kernel 5.15 has solved the issue. The Gen 10 HPe now reboots and starts up without any issues.

Summary:

Code:
apt update
apt install pve-kernel-5.15

I will mark this thread as solved.

FOR YOUR INFO

If you used a the previous summary. Don't forget to un-hold the package. It won't be updated in Proxmox anyway but will show.

Code:
apt-mark unhold 'pve-kernel-5.13'

Have a great festive season.

Best

David

Thanks All!

Just to Summarise this Thread:

If you have an issue with the latest Kernel "5.13.19-2-pve" and it won't boot properly with such Kernel (AMD Systems seem affected) use the following steps:

Code:
apt install pve-kernel-5.13=7.1-4

then remove the old kernel with the following

Code:
dpkg -P pve-kernel-5.13.19-2-pve

Set the kernel updates to avoid the latest 5.13 with

Code:
apt-mark hold 'pve-kernel-5.13'

--
if you're still having issues modify GRUB with:

Code:
nano /etc/default/grub

And then value GRUB DEFAULT change from 0 to "1>2". (With quotes)

Note: "1>2" denotes the Advanced option with the second kernel installed.

Run the following to update your boot system

Code:
update-grub

Special thanks to @tauceti @Kephin @nicedevil
Thanks for showing me how to rollback to 5.13.19-1-pve because 5.13.19-2-pve would cause my host to reboot when the Plex container tried to use the Nvidia card. I could not get the Nvidia drivers working on the 5.15 kernel so I had to roll back the earlier 5.13 kernel.

Hi all,
looks like an upgrade to kernel 5.15 could potentially fix my issues as well.

But how do I upgrade the kernel, if I have no working NIC?

My system does boot, but it does not recognize the ethernet controller (Realtek 8125).
Do I need to download a package to a USB stick? I'm no Linux expert, so with anything beyond "apt update" or "apt install", my knowhow is rather sparse.

Hi,
probably not the pro-advice, but here is what I did:

1) Basically, my NIC already worked. It just did not pull an IP at boot time. So I did a "reset" with "dhclient -r enp2s0" and got a new IP from the router with "dhclient enp2s0". After that I had a working network connection, incl. internet access.

2) Independently I used "apt search pve-kernel" to display all already installed kernels and then installed another version according to the list.

I hope this helps you.

Upgrading to kernel 5.15 fixed my Asus PN50 on a Ryzen 4800U should anyone be Googling and find this thread.

I fixed this back in ~December by doing the following -

systemctl mask ifupdown2-pre

and I said to myself "I should do that on all my other boxes right now before I forget what I did!"

I guess I'm glad I didn't as it seems from looking at this thread that it's only my PN50s that should suffer from it, not my NUC10s, but never-the-less, I ran into it again today after upgrading and rebooting my other PN50 and it took me 30+ minutes to figure out what was going on and find that fix again :-/

Preferable to pinning the kernel imo.

Because of this issue, I've just installed a new machine using Proxmox v7.0 (instead of v7.1) because I couldn't boot v7.1 on my Ryzen 7 4800U. Out of fear that an update could render my system unbootable I've since not enabled any updates.

Of course, this is not a permanent solution. How has this issue developed since January (prior post in this thread)? Perhaps the Proxmox repository has already been updated to skip the "problematic" kernel entirely in the meantime? (It just says "5.13" on the update page, which as I understand it could either be a fixed version or a non-fixed version.) If not, is it reasonable to wait for such an update, or could this be "a long wait"?

Regards

I also want to know that. Until now I have skipped the update via apt and also kernel 5.15 is still not officially released by Proxmox.

Because of this issue, I've just installed a new machine using Proxmox v7.0 (instead of v7.1) because I couldn't boot v7.1 on my Ryzen 7 4800U. Out of fear that an update could render my system unbootable I've since not enabled any updates.

Of course, this is not a permanent solution. How has this issue developed since January (prior post in this thread)? Perhaps the Proxmox repository has already been updated to skip the "problematic" kernel entirely in the meantime? (It just says "5.13" on the update page, which as I understand it could either be a fixed version or a non-fixed version.) If not, is it reasonable to wait for such an update, or could this be "a long wait"?

Regards
Hi 150d,

I've updated to the latest 5.13.19-4 Kernel and problem hasn't reoccurred on my Hardware.

BR

D

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!