Proxmox VMs storage disk hosted on another external server (NAS)

Elmani335

Jun 22, 2023
Hello every ! I searched on google and youtube but I did not really find the answer to my questions.

So here it is, I have a server with Proxmox installed on it, with a 5Tb RAID

And on another rack I have a server with a NAS installed on it (about 22Tb)

Now I would like to create VMs that run on proxmox, but use the NAS storage (the boot disk and the VM storage disk on the NAS as well)

Is it possible ? If so, can someone guide me through the process?

the NAS and the PVE are on the same local network

Thanks !

Using iSCSI would probably give you the best performance. Other option would be to add a NFS/SMB share to your PVE and use that to store the virtual disks as qcow2 image files.
For best performance I would still prefer to store the OS and application on local storage inside the PVE server and only mount NFS/SMB shares inside the VM to access your cold storage on the NAS.

Using iSCSI would probably give you the best performance. Other option would be to add a NFS/SMB share to your PVE and use that to store the virtual disks as qcow2 image files.
For best performance I would still prefer to store the OS and application on local storage inside the PVE server and only mount NFS/SMB shares inside the VM to access your cold storage on the NAS.
Thx ! will search some docs on how to setup that correctly and make some test

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!