Proxmox VE 3.1 released!

Status
Not open for further replies.
How to test Promox VE 3.1 "stable" version without support fee ?

Your new system of support key and fee to have access to the stable repository is a problem for test environment before putting things in production. We agree to pay for production environment but not for test servers. Same problem for "new PVE user". How can they test and validate a stable PVE if they don't have access to the stable repository?

You miss the fact that we basically changed nothing (just renamed the repository).

We just provide an additional repository for our enterprise users.

Sorry, from where I'm standing, you push suddenly testable/possibly unstable code into my production environment. The only way for me to stop that is by either disabling your repos completely/ignoring updates, or by paying licence fees. To me that is guerilla tactics.

It would have been a different story if there was an additional repo for enterprise users, receiving all recent updates. I can understand that and live with that. But you can't mess with your users production environments and expect them to remain friendly and committed at the same time.

Just my 2c

How to test Promox VE 3.1 "stable" version without support fee ?

Your new system of support key and fee to have access to the stable repository is a problem for test environment before putting things in production. We agree to pay for production environment but not for test servers. Same problem for "new PVE user". How can they test and validate a stable PVE if they don't have access to the stable repository?

May be something like 90 Days Trial of "Enterprise Stable Version" option can be implemented? 90 Days is more than enough time to test a product in a test environment before moving to Production.

Then please clarify crystal clear what repos we now get. Up to 3.0 we knew pve-stable and pve-testing. You claim you added an additional repo, but from what we can see, you simply disabled the old repos and added two new ones with "enterprise" being the "stable" one. That leaves us with the interpretation that pve-testing is the new "open" repo.

If that is true, then my claim holds. If not - I sincerely hope I'm wrong - please enlighten us.

Ok, from Dietmar messages I understood it this way:
1. enterprise subscribers will get new repo with some kind of extra-stability and may be some extra-stuff in it. Should list it somewhere.
2. old pve-stable is renamed to pve-no-subscription and added some testing/non-production words in wiki due to marketing thing.
If you upgrade to 3.1 and then replace old repo with new for non-subscribers and run apt-get update/dist-upgrade you won't receive any new updates. At least this seems like ok.
But you guys should really take care of public cloud market share. it will be outstanding platform. and there you could get a lot more money (just do not try to charge for VM number :D)

Hey, where's my last posting? Censorship is here. So i feel free move that ugly stort to outside location.

This claim is simply not true.

Then some of us must be illiterate.

According to http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Package_repositories:

"The pve-no-subscription repo can be used for testing and non-production use.

Its not recommended to run on production servers as these packages are not always heavily tested and validated.

As the name suggests, there is no Proxmox VE Subscription Key needed to access this repository."

Look, I believe that most of the community is supportive of your development efforts, and we understand that providing the download bandwidth and support requires financial resources.
But I don't believe that attempting to monetize updates is the way to go. Perhaps non-subscribers would prefer limited access to the forums and less support. I don't believe in crippleware either.
I would prefer to pay a fixed yearly fee that gives me full access to the forums, unlimited license, better documentation, video tutorials, and some handholding.

Hey, where's my last posting? Censorship is here. So i feel free move that ugly stort to outside location.

The message is already in everybody's email whoever is already subscribed to this thread.

But, honestly was that comment in the deleted posting really necessary? Trashing and giving threats really has no point. I am sure Proxmox staff had completely valid reason for what they did and what they did.If it does not affect you in very large way, stick around. If it broke your heart that can never be mended, try to find alternative and move on. I do not doubt for a moment that you yourself left many products behind in the past because you did not like something. Proxmox subscription is not that end of the world and definitely not the end of your career.

I am not paid or affiliated with Proxmox in any way. i do not get favoritism from Proxmox. The reason i am voicing my opinions is i think some of us are trying to take the matter to a level it does not need to be. I am just another user like everybody else who is very happy with the product and heavily depended on it and try to support it.

The message is already in everybody's email whoever is already subscribed to this thread. But, honestly was that comment in the deleted posting really necessary? Trashing and giving threats really has no point. I am sure Proxmox staff had completely valid reason for what they did and what they did.If it does not affect you in very large way, stick around. If it broke your heart that can never be mended, try to find alternative and move on. I do not doubt for a moment that you yourself left many products behind in the past because you did not like something. Proxmox subscription is not that end of the world and definitely not the end of your career.I am not paid or affiliated with Proxmox in any way. i do not get favoritism from Proxmox. The reason i am voicing my opinions is i think some of us are trying to take the matter to a level it does not need to be. I am just another user like everybody else who is very happy with the product and heavily depended on it and try to support it.
Basically, you're right. My posting is nothing more than a symmetrical response to a guerilla way to make the purchase a subscription.

I am missing something. Everyone is upset about a "notice". Or the fact, they may have to pay one day. What were you thinking, people created a forum and answer questions regularly to never get paid, die, go to heaven, and receive a good reward for being faithful to a forum? Of course they would like to receive some compensation for their work!!
Here's my thing, they do it with the community in mind. They did not become "Oracle" greedy, but kept the community at the foundation whilst trying to grow, expand, and get compensation.
Everyone here that is complaining has showed they weren't even going to donate, so why do you think your complaints are valid. You have no contribution except for having to use "R&D" time to Google "Free Virtualization" or "Xen Opensource vs."
I am an opensource guy to the extreme, but I understand what it means to support as well. I pay my tithes weekly at a church, and receive the benefit thereof. In what world is there endless supply of wealth and knowledge without something being deposited.
Proxmox, continue to grow as needed, and please continue to look out for us community. I understand the amount of work, and the temptation to just go solely proprietary (I'm dealing with it looking for a good ChMS system that's opensource, but could use support. Only churchinfo @churchdb.org exists, but they have no support options in place).
I hope to still be apart when Proxmox grows super large!

I am missing something. Everyone is upset about a "notice". Or the fact, they may have to pay one day. What were you thinking, people created a forum and answer questions regularly to never get paid, die, go to heaven, and receive a good reward for being faithful to a forum? Of course they would like to receive some compensation for their work!!
Here's my thing, they do it with the community in mind. They did not become "Oracle" greedy, but kept the community at the foundation whilst trying to grow, expand, and get compensation.
Everyone here that is complaining has showed they weren't even going to donate, so why do you think your complaints are valid. You have no contribution except for having to use "R&D" time to Google "Free Virtualization" or "Xen Opensource vs."
I am an opensource guy to the extreme, but I understand what it means to support as well. I pay my tithes weekly at a church, and receive the benefit thereof. In what world is there endless supply of wealth and knowledge without something being deposited.
Proxmox, continue to grow as needed, and please continue to look out for us community. I understand the amount of work, and the temptation to just go solely proprietary (I'm dealing with it looking for a good ChMS system that's opensource, but could use support. Only churchinfo @churchdb.org exists, but they have no support options in place).
I hope to still be apart when Proxmox grows super large!

Although i would not put it so bluntly, but my thought aligns with what you say. I seriously started questioning myself for not getting upset about the so called "subscription" and thinking i am missing something big here. Sure i would like to get it free if the option is there but i do understand the need of reasonable compensation.

I am missing something.
Indeed you are. The fuzz was never about payment an sich, but about the misconception that pve-test seemed to be the new "open" repo. If that were true, then unstable software could have been injected in your stable production environment. Luckily, that isn't the case. Most heart rates are back to normal again.

Indeed you are. The fuzz was never about payment an sich, but about the misconception that pve-test seemed to be the new "open" repo. If that were true, then unstable software could have been injected in your stable production environment. Luckily, that isn't the case. Most heart rates are back to normal again.

Thats probably why my blood pressure did not go up for two reasons.
#1 What i understood from the announcement was this, oold stable repo = new "pvetest" and new stable repo = newly introduced much more refined/tested/tested-some-more enterprise repo which never existed. So in my mind i could very much live with the new "free" repo since this is what i have. This seemed to good to be true since i could continue with my life without paying a single dollar.

#2 If #1 was not true, i could always pay that tiny fees and ensure my nodes are Enterprise Grade, since math says the features far outweighs the newly imposed cost.

No one answered the question posed by Albator.
How to upgrade from 3.0 to 3.1 ?

aptitude update
aptitude full-upgrade

Do i have to manually change repository ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!