Proxmox VE 3.1 released!

Status
Not open for further replies.

martin

Proxmox Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 28, 2005
We just released Proxmox VE 3.1, introducing great new features and services. We included SPICE, GlusterFS storage plugin and the ability to apply updates via GUI (including change logs).

As an additional service for our commercial subscribers, we introduce the Proxmox VE Enterprise Repository. This is the default and recommended repository for production servers.

To access the Enterprise Repository, each Proxmox VE Server needs a valid Subscription Key - these subscriptions start now at EUR 4,16 per months (was EUR 9,90).

There is no change in licensing (AGPL v3), also packages for non-subscribers are still available.

A big Thank-you to our active community for all feedback, testing, bug reporting and patch submissions.

Release notes
See http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Roadmap#Proxmox_VE_3.1

Download
http://www.proxmox.com/downloads/category/proxmox-virtual-environment

New Package Repositories
http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Package_repositories

Martin Maurer
Proxmox VE project leader

Thank you to all the team.
I hope that the next version in addition to being a data center will also be a cloud-computing with a computer program, like nova from openstack.

Merci beaucoup.

Hi,

great to hear. but how to disable thes "you do not have a subscription..." messages at logon?

greetz,

argonius

Do you plan to make Proxmox costly in future? I noted "There is no change in licensing (AGPL v3), also packages for non-subscribers are still available."
Why would you need to say "still" for a already free application :)

...The pve-no-subscription repo can be used for testing and non-production use. Its not recommended to run on production servers as these packages are not always heavily tested and validated...
Very dissapointed. As I see after version 3.1 we can only use unstable free repo (= pvetest ?) for our production servers. For example, for my organization in my country it is impossible to make a bank transfer for any subscription coz of financial restrictions (money transfers only after lots of paper and a written contract with the seller who should have an agency on my counrty).
Now thinking if I should look for alternatives :(

I do not speak on behalf of Proxmox team but I beleive your question is answered:

http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Package_repositories
The pve-no-subscription repo can be used for testing and non-production use. Its not recommended to run on production servers as these packages are not always heavily tested and validated. As the name suggests, there is no Proxmox VE Subscription Key needed to access this repository.

It appears to me that they are doing what most other successful open-source projects do, charge for access to more stable better tested binaries and give free access to less tested, less vetted binaries.
Personally I have no problem with this model, a project can not be a success without funding, those who can afford the minimal cost should be happy to help support something that their business likely relies upon.
Those who can not afford it should be happy to help contribute by reporting bugs and being active in the community.

Some other companies that I know use this same model:
Parallels (Openvz vs Paralles Cloud Server)
Opscode (Open Source Chef vs Hosted/Private Chef)
RedHat (RHEL vs um ok so they use a worse model and do not provide access to binaries for free to anyone, heck they even lock down most of their bug tracker to non-payers)

IMHO the RedHat model is bad because the people who cannot afford it never have the opprotunity to use it for free, experience the features, report bugs, participate in the community to improve the product, etc.
I rarely use RedHat/CentOS/Fedora
I use and promote Proxmox, OpenVZ and Chef daily.

Hi,

great to hear. but how to disable thes "you do not have a subscription..." messages at logon?

greetz,

argonius

Its very simple. Just upload a valid subscription key.

Very dissapointed. As I see after version 3.1 we can only use unstable free repo (= pvetest ?) for our production servers. For example, for my organization in my country it is impossible to make a bank transfer for any subscription coz of financial restrictions (money transfers only after lots of paper and a written contract with the seller who should have an agency on my counrty).
Now thinking if I should look for alternatives :(

In which country do you live? PayPal/Credit card payment is almost everywhere available.

Last edited:
In which country do you live? PayPal/Credit card payment is almost everywhere available.
Russia. Non commercial government organization. And we can pay only to resident organizations...
The only way to pay is to use my own credit card :))

By the way. How to upgrade from 3.0 to 3.1 ?

aptitude update
aptitude full-upgrade

Do i have to manually change repository ?

I too do not have a problem with "enterprise" versus "free" repositories, given the right settings. But right now, I don't feel informed enough to make a decision.

Previously, we had two repositories, one "formal" and one "testing". How do the new repositories compare to the old ones?

Please inform us.

Great news, I held back several server upgrades till 3.1 stable comes out and now it just did, and it looks great. Every major Proxmox release has brought more stability, more performance, ease of use, and of course all the newest technologies in a great package.

However, please clarify this repository arrangement as much as possible. It's confusing and contradictory:

To access the Enterprise Repository, each Proxmox VE Server needs a valid Subscription Key - these subscriptions start now at EUR 4,16 per months (was EUR 9,90).

There is no change in licensing (AGPL v3), also packages for non-subscribers are still available.

Now we have 2 different repos, one "Enterprise" and another "not Enterprise". Only subscribers have access to the former, however anyone can access everything and that means to the enterprise as well. This is quite contradictory. If everyone has access to everything, then what's the point in separating the repos? If non-ent users don't have access to more tested, more stable packages, then the "have access to everything" statement doesn't hold true. But even if it holds true, how can one tell which are part of the Enterprise repo and which aren't? This is very confusing. Please make these things clear. I guess your plan is not "hiding" the stable package names in some way. Or did you mean that without subscription, one could still access packages, but only in the non-ent repo?

Also, are the old pvetest contents now the "non Enterprise" repo? Or will pvetest stay as it was up till now and continues to exist?

Last edited:
Печально, но для наших стран бывшего соц лагеря, реально проблематично платить. Не paypal не одной серьезной платежной системы здесь нет. Другие берут в три дорого, и из 4 Euro мы получим 12. Проблема даже не в этом, мы платим за репо, но если в нём что то не работает, так как нам хочется, нам надо платить за тикеты, цены на тикеты ещё более не приятны. Да и вообще новость не сильно приятная. Такие ставки делали на этот проект. Придётся пересматривать в сторону oVirt, openstack, apache cloud и тд. Деньги, тормозят технологии. Это давно доказано. А ведь хороший продукт был)
Останавливаемся на 3.1!

Отправлено с моего SPH-L710 через Tapatalk

Source is AGPL, you are free to get a copy of the source that was used for the Enterprise packages and complie your own packages.
If you want pre-compiled Enterprise binaries, subscribe.
Well, aside from you sounding like an advocate for the new support model (not that it is a bad thing, just noting), thanks for the hint, but no, thanks, I have other plans currently.

Да...как не печально, но Беларусь тоже в пролете...
P.s. Но за продукт и работу - Большое Спасибо! :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!