Proxmox VE 2.0 beta released!

Discussion in 'Proxmox VE: Installation and configuration' started by martin, Sep 30, 2011.

1. dik23

dik23 Member

Is there still a plan for lxc in 2.x ?

2. dietmar

dietmar Proxmox Staff Member
    Staff Member

I would really like to work on that, but had no time so far. There was also one interesting comment on the openvz blog, which proposed the idea to use vzctl to manage lxc.

Besides, what feature do you miss in OpenVZ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. spriebe

spriebe New Member

just wanna say that this peace of software is amazing. Even in beta state. Is there a roadmap for RC, final, ... an which features are planned (the roadmap wiki is not very detailed)?

4. dik23

dik23 Member

OpenVZ doesn't work properly with jvm. As is mentioned repeatedly in these forums jvm requires a certain amount of hacking to work reliably.

If jvm worked out of the box I'd be a lot less interested in lxc. OpenVZ does work well for everything else.

5. dietmar

Staff Member

And you are sure that jvm work without problems on lxc? And with new openvz VSwap support jvm should work without problems.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. dik23

dik23 Member

No I'm not sure because I haven't tried it yet, although I've read that jvm may work ok in lxc. I suppose the downside is with lxc being relatively new there's bound to be other issues.

I'm looking forward to testing vswap, just as soon as the problems described on this forum with the 2.6.32-6-pve are resolved.

7. p3x-749

p3x-749 Member

...ability to use other FS, reiserfs in my case.

8. dietmar

Staff Member

Well, there seems to be a basic misunderstanding here: you can use other FS in OpenVZ, but then quota does not work. LXC does not have FS quota support at all, so you do not gain anything using LXC.

9. rmoglia

rmoglia Member

Acording with my researches LXC not good maturity to prodution enviroments and missing tome features including quota. And openvz developers contribute with LXC code. Then i recomend wait for better and mature versions.

10. p3x-749

p3x-749 Member

Dietmar,

thanks for the info...this knowledge is indeed new to me....need to give a deeper look...

11. Marcel

Marcel New Member

Hi,

Out of interest when will the final version be released? Weeks, months, this year? Just a rough indication.

[Offtopic]
    Is this virtualization solution still free for the home/community user?
    [/offtopic]

Thanks

12. tom

tom Proxmox Staff Member
    Staff Member

13. Marcel

Marcel New Member

Okay, I will checkout your links

Hmm, still a couple of months for the final release. Then it's probably best to use version 1.9 and to start experimenting again.

Thanks for your fast answer Tom.

14. udi

udi Member

Hi,

Will you update the beta in the meantime with the fixes/features you develop or we have to wait for final?

I'm asking because I have to install Proxmox to a machine now and don't know which version to choose.
    I think that upgrade later from 2.0 beta to final will be much more simple than from 1.9/lenny to 2.0/squeeze and for this advantage I could tolerate the lack of some features for a short time but not for a half year, in that case I'll choose 1.9 better.

thank you
    u.

15. dietmar

Staff Member

Yes, we update the beta repository.

16. vcp_ai

vcp_ai Member

Just a clarification:

Once vzdump/qmrestore will be working, would it be possible to restore a Proxmox 1.x KVM Virtual Machine ??

17. dietmar

Staff Member

Yes, I will try to get that working.

18. mechanicus

mechanicus Member

What's about spice? I can't find the qxl video.

19. dietmar

Staff Member

There is no spice support.

20. spolve

spolve New Member

Can i have spice support rebuilding your git repository with same parameters, or i need oterh source package to obtain spice supporta on my server??
    Thanks (and sorry for my poor english)

#40 spolve, Nov 2, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice