Proxmox Server - This site can’t be reached

MiteshSPxMX

Jan 18, 2022
Hi there,

I'm a complete newbie to Proxmox and I'm not that technical either. Last month I installed Proxmox onto an old machine and also installed Kali Linux and Ubuntu onto it. I installed this via the GUI interface which I accessed using https://192.168.0.38:8006/. Since then I had an issue with my router and replaced it with a new one however whenever I try getting into the Proxmox GUI interface I get the follwoing message "This site can’t be reached".

I'm completely stuck on this and I have no idea how I can re-configure the network settings using the Proxmox root terminal. The last I want to do is re-install the whole thing. Could someone please kindly help me with this issue?

Much appreciated,
Mitesh

Maybe after the routerswap your IP-range changed. What IP-address does your computer (the one you use for accessing Proxmox) has now?

Probably easiest is to change the router to the old IP-range. What router do you have?

I now have the Google Router, but instead of changing the IP-range on the Google router, can you kindly help me update the new IP range on the Proxmox server instead?

Hi birdy,
I tried following the steps on here https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/help-with-changing-ip-address-reinstalling.55421/
by updating the following
1) /etc/network/interfaces - updated the 'address' and 'gateway' fields with my new IP Address
2) /etc/hosts - updated the hostname from the old IP address to the new IP Address.

Even though I have made these changes on the Root terminal of Proxmox, I am still having the same issue and not able to connect to the Proxmox server GUI. I'm getting

"This site can’t be reached"​

Do you think you are able to help any further with this?

Did you reboot?

Can you share output of:

cat /etc/network/interfaces

cat /etc/hosts

And what is the IP of your Google Router?

Yes I tried rebooting but still having no luck.

output from cat /etc/network/interfaces
"
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface enp4s0 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 192.168.64.38/24
gateway 192.168.0.1
bridge_ports ennp4s0
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

iface wlp3s0 inet manual
"

output from cat /etc/hosts

"
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
192.168.64.38 pve.miteshpxmx.local pve

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts

::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
"

gateway 192.168.0.1

You should put here the IP of your router. You need this to be correct to access the Internet (for updates etc.). As you checked your IP there was also an entry called "Default Gateway" (probably 192.168.64.1 or 192.168.64.254). That's the address you need.

bridge_ports ennp4s0

You made a typo here. It should be "enp4s0" (one "n").

Last edited:
Hi birdy,

Thank you for you suggestions. I tried doing this as well but still having no luck :/ Is there anything could recommend?

Many thanks,
Mitesh

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!