Help with changing IP address / reinstalling.

Aalian Khan

Jun 25, 2019
I installed Proxmox on my old Sony VAIO laptop with a broken screen a few months ago to play with it and everything worked fine. I left it alone and started designing an enclosure so I can print it. in the meantime, I also got google wifi. with the old router, my IP address was 192.168.0.XX so when I was setting my Proxmox up I gave the IP address of 192.168.0.100 for easy reference. but with the new one, the base IP address changed to 192.168.86.XX so with the new router I can't access the UI from my browser. Is it possible to set up a new IP address from the terminal/command line? I didn't find anything about changing the IP address so I went on reinstalling Proxmox by flashing a USB stick by etcher. last time I did it directly booted from the USB but this wasn't the case this time. since that didn't work I tried going to BIOS and pressing F2 to boot from USB but neither worked. then I tried installing by putting the ISO image in my USB and using the command line to install it but it kept saying no such directory. I used lsblk to find the USB which had the name sdb so I wrote /dev/sdb along with the other commands where I found https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Installation. I'm I doing something wrong? my model number for my laptop is PCG-71311L

You can manually change the IP address in /etc/network/interfaces and reboot or systemctl restart networking.

Open /etc/network/interfaces in text editor, replace network config with new one and reboot.
That didn't do it. I connected my computer to a monitor and logged in. The first command I wrote is cd /etc/network . Then I wrote nano interfaces
I edited the line that said address: 192.168.0.100 . I changed the address to 192.168.86.100 . CTRL X and saved. I restarted and it showed please use your browser to configure the server - connect to https://192.168.0.100:8006. So nothing changed

in addition to editin '/etc/network/interfaces' you also need to make sure that the hostname resolves to the new ip-address - this is usually done by entering/changing the entry in '/etc/hosts'

hope this helps!

Hi there, I am having the same issue. I tried the solution outlined on here and updated the following:
1) /etc/network/interfaces - updated the 'address' and 'gateway' fields with my new IP Address
2) /etc/hosts - updated the hostname from the old IP address to the new IP Address.

Even though I have made these changes on the Root terminal of Proxmox, I am still having the same issue and not able to connect to the Proxmox server GUI. I'm getting

"This site can’t be reached"​

Could someone please help me with this?

Even though I have made these changes on the Root terminal of Proxmox, I am still having the same issue and not able to connect to the Proxmox server GUI. I'm getting
did you reboot the server - or reload the networking? (`ifreload -a`) - also please open a new thread instead of replying to one that is more than 2 years old - should help you in getting a reply faster (and spare the original posters of getting mails for a 2 year old problem they managed to solve)

I hope this helps!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!