Proxmox PVE-ZSYNC

np-prxmx

May 11, 2020
Hi to ALL,
i recently implement pve-zsync in my environment, but i'm questioning about recovery. Because now, on target host i've
1631865246022.png

But, in case i need to startup the VM, that in this time has this config
1631865341873.png

how i merge the last replica with the disk?.. The last replica is incremental only, isn't it?.
Thanks

Hi,
Hi to ALL,
i recently implement pve-zsync in my environment, but i'm questioning about recovery. Because now, on target host i've
View attachment 29539

But, in case i need to startup the VM, that in this time has this config
View attachment 29540

how i merge the last replica with the disk?..
when you want to rollback to the latest snapshot, use zfs rollback <dataset>@snapname (NOTE: all modifications since that snapshot was taken will be lost!). How you can recover a VM that was synced with pve-zsync is described here.

The last replica is incremental only, isn't it?.
With ZFS you can always access the full state at the time the snapshot was taken. It only uses up space incrementally.
E.g. from my test setup:
Code:
zfs send myzpool/zsync/vm-146-disk-0@rep_test2_2021-09-17_13:30:01 | ssh 192.168.20.141 zfs receive myzpool/vm-123-disk-7
and then vm-123-disk-7 will contain the state from the other disk at the time of the snapshot.

Thanks for your answer!.
But i don't understand. I cannot use this:
zfs send myzpool/zsync/vm-146-disk-0@rep_test2_2021-09-17_13:30:01 | ssh 192.168.20.141 zfs receive myzpool/vm-123-disk-7

Because, i'm using pve-zsync to replicate data from one host to other, so if i lost the source host i cannot execute this command. This is why i'm asking how to recover the machine from the last replicate snapshot.

Suppose you are in target host, with all snapshot and last configuration file of VM, how i need to recover the machine with the last snapshot?.. i need to merge it?
Or maybe i need to this
zfs send myzpool/zsync/vm-146-disk-0@rep_test2_2021-09-17_13:30:01 | ssh 192.168.20.141 zfs receive myzpool/vm-123-disk-7 but the target is locally?

Thanks

Thanks for your answer!.
But i don't understand. I cannot use this:

Because, i'm using pve-zsync to replicate data from one host to other, so if i lost the source host i cannot execute this command. This is why i'm asking how to recover the machine from the last replicate snapshot.

Suppose you are in target host, with all snapshot and last configuration file of VM, how i need to recover the machine with the last snapshot?.. i need to merge it?
Or maybe i need to this
zfs send myzpool/zsync/vm-146-disk-0@rep_test2_2021-09-17_13:30:01 | ssh 192.168.20.141 zfs receive myzpool/vm-123-disk-7 but the target is locally?

Thanks
Yes, just leave out the ssh <IP> part of the command if the target is localhost. You also need to copy the configuration file. Again, this is described here.

Ah ok, so i need to use this:

zfs send <pool>/[<path>/]vm-<VMID>-disk-<number>@<last_snapshot> | [ssh root@<destination>] zfs receive <pool>/<path>/vm-<VMID>-disk-<number>

without [ssh root@<destination>]

Thanks, now i understand!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!