Proxmox PVE with DHCP for IPv4 and IPv6 on HOST!

smartysmart34

Jan 30, 2024
Hello all,
I am trying to set up my Proxmox PVE HOST to use DHCP to optain both an IPv4 and an IPv6 address for its Network interface. I would then manage the actual Addresses via static leases on my DHCP server.
As the Guest VMs would have DHCP active and therefor pull IPs within the network from my LANs DHCP server, I would also assume Proxmox does not have to request its own subnet for a router advertisement.

My assuption was that this should be rather straight forward but almost all tutorials I found kind of assume, one would like to use at least one static address on the host. Also, either I did something wrong or there is actually no guided configuration similar to OpenSuses Yast. Plus it seems, networking is not managed by systemctl in Debian.
So: Does someone here happen to have a good link / reference for me to achieve this?

Kind regards,
Martin

The reason for this is that changing the IP of a Proxmox host can have unintended consequences and you need to change some additional files as well when changing the IP (e.g. /etc/hosts) otherwise you might run into problems. While using a static DHCP lease configured on the DHCP server should be fine - is there any reason to not configure the static IP on Proxmox anyway? It shouldn't really make much difference in this case then.

VMs can still get IPs via DHCP even if the host still has a static configuration.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!