Proxmox on two disks

Curtis777

Nov 19, 2020
Hey Guys I am really new to proxmox.

And trying to figure all out.
My plan is to install some lxc on my Intel nuc for my home needs.

I've got a Intel nuc with 2x 250GB SSD inside.

How do I get the most of it ?
Ext4 will use only one disk?
Xfs with raid 0 ? (I know if one disk fail all is gone)
Or does it make more sense to get one bigger disk and forget about two disks ?

I installed it now with ext4 but it shows only one disk how do I use the rest.
Questions over questions...

Use command line to partition and format the second ssd, mount the partition using fstab, rebuild the grub and initramfs, add the partition to proxmox and you can run VMs from that SSD too.
Proxmox is based on Debian so you could look for Debian (and Ubuntu) tutorials on how to do that.
Adding the mounted partiton to proxmox should work using the GUI with "Datacenter -> Storage -> Add" if you don't want to do that using CLI too.

Write down everything you do, because without mirroring you need to do everything exactly the same again if a drive dies. And there is a lot of stuff like this which you can't do using the gui. I always look at my notes what I have done and how I done it, because it is too much and complex to remember.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!