Proxmox NIC should behave like a switch

sf_aaron_dietz

Oct 6, 2020
Hello Proxmox Community,

I'm currently setting up a industrial IoT Server right next to an experimental machine setup at a university.
My Server runs Proxmox 6.2-11 and has 5 NICs.
1x Onboard NIC
1x Intel NIC with four interfaces.

The onboard NIC is connected to the local network with many machines and also gets internet access.

The Intel NIC will only be connected directly to Windows and other machines.
There won't be a Router between the NICs and the other machines.
Can I create a private network with a private OPNsense router which can give out DHCP IPs and route via DNS?
In this network, all machines should be able to talk to each other and with some of the running VMs.

How should I configure the NICs? Currently I'm trying to bond them together.
Is this the right approach? I already have used Proxmox for some years but I'm new to more advanced Proxmox networking.

Greetings from Munich

Aaron

Last edited:
i'd simply connect all those nics to a vmbr (which acts like a switch) but you have to be careful not to create a loop (iow. do not connect them also to the same switch)

i'd simply connect all those nics to a vmbr (which acts like a switch) but you have to be careful not to create a loop (iow. do not connect them also to the same switch)

Thx for your reply.
Sadly this does not solve the DNS and DHCP task :/.
Maybe my title wording was off.
I still need DHCP and DNS eventhought, the private network does not haven an WAN connection.
Maybe I should have written "Proxmox NICs should behave like a router".

I spend the day by setting up an OPNsense router in a KVM VM.
I created bridges for every physical NIC and an additional virtual bridge for connecting VMs.
All bridges are directly connected to the OPNsense VM.
In OPNsense I created a LAN bridge of all bridges and set it up as the new LAN.
https://docs.opnsense.org/manual/how-tos/lan_bridge.html

This setup seems to work well for me (still testing).
I can push 5.5 GBit/s over the bridge with about 35% utilization on 2 cores of a AMD Ryzen 3900X.
The VMs and devices can see each other over different NICs.
The DNS setup currently seems to be spotty, but I think, I can iron that out.

Greetings from Munich

Aaron

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!