Proxmox Hetzner DNS Issues

May 21, 2018
Hello,

I have been having some issues with getting the LXC / VM to resolve domains,

I was previously able to configure IPv6 and this worked without any issues,

However, since purchasing an IPv4 Subnet I have not been able to use the boxes. They can be pinged from a remote host, and I have played around with both Host and Guest DNS settings,

Spoke to Hetzner about some slightly related issues, but due to it being a proxmox issue it was outside their scope.

Host config
Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
iface lo inet6 loopback

auto enp4s0
iface enp4s0 inet static
        address 122.122.10.122/32
        gateway 122.122.10.121
        pointopoint 122.122.10.121

iface enp4s0 inet6 static
        address 2a01:xxx:xxx:xxx::2
        netmask 128
        gateway xxxx::1
        up sysctl -p

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address 123.123.123.123
        netmask 255.255.255.240
        bridge-ports none
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0

iface vmbr0 inet6 static
        address 2a01:xxx:xxx:xxx::3
        netmask 64
        up ip -6 route add 2a01:xxx:xxx:xxx::/64 dev vmbr0

LXC Config

Code:
  GNU nano 3.2                                                              /etc/network/interfaces                                                                       

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
        address 123.123.123.124
        netmask 255.255.255.240
        gateway 123.123.123.123

As the example IPs from the config show, I can ping 123.123.123.124, and from that LXC I am able to ping out. There is just no dns resolution or sshing into the system,

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated, I have been through the recommended guide and various other online sources and just keep failing to get it to work, there could be something that is blatantly obvious to the right eyes

hi,

As the example IPs from the config show, I can ping 123.123.123.124, and from that LXC I am able to ping out. There is just no dns resolution or sshing into the system,
what is in /etc/resolv.conf of the container?

can you post the output of pct config CTID for an affected container?

you can set specific nameserver on the PVE GUI (or LXC config file in /etc/pve/lxc/CTID.conf) for that container and see if it works.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!