Proxmox dorm configuration.

Wustri

Jan 29, 2024
Hi I just started using proxmox in a old computer i had around. My objective is to have the computer work as an AP with pihole and access to my VM, through a wifi card i have installed, the internet will be provided from another wifi card connected to my universities wifi (no i dont have ethernet, I wish) in which i only want internet trffic going throght, to prevent others accessing the server as it is quite common in my uni.
Right now i managed to obtain access to my proxmox install throght a open wifi of my uni ,althought i would prefer to use the one meant for residences but is protected through WPA2-Enterprise and i havent been able to connect succesfully. Also I have a Truenas and Pihole VM but they cant connect to the internet and give 0.0.0.0 ip.
If anyone is able to help me on point me into a wiki page or something to help me I would apreciate, also sorry for my english it is not my first language .

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/WLAN

but see the important notes there, you might not be happy... maybe something like an AP with alternative firmware that takes care of the WIFI part, and attaching PVE using regular ethernet is a better option..

Thank you so much but I don’t have an Ethernet port in my dorm but I’ll take a look.
I have tried installing openwrt to create the AP. I don’t know if it’s the best option but with my little knowledge is the best I have found so far.

what I meant is - if you don't have a lot of in-depth knowledge about networking, you might be better off with the AP part on its own box, and the PVE system connected to that (NATed).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!