Proxmox & Debian blank screen on install

nosuch

Jul 5, 2019
I've tried to install both Promox 5.4 & 6.0 beta, as well as Debian 10 and each shows a blank/black screen after BIOS. The system has no integrated graphics, and I've tried 3 different GPUs without success (NVidia Quadro 580, ATI FirePro v3900, NVidia GTS 450). I've tried booting both via legacy and UEFI devices, enabling/disabling secure boot, changing the graphics mode between legacy and EFI without luck. Is there anything else I can try?

Sorry for the lack of explanation, I did try the link you posted but I'm not able to install Debian Buster either. I have the same issue as Proxmox where the screen is blank after booting to the USB and cannot see the installer. Is there any other option that may work, should I try a headless install?

I will try 6.0 when its available as well.

what kind of server is this exactly? post a link with all details.

This is an HP Z420, Xeon 1650 CPU, 19GB ECC DDR3, no built-in graphics adapter. Not much special going on aside from the added video card, and I have already tried a few different monitors & cables to rule out that issue. Since I can see the BIOS screen (updated to the latest BIOS) it seems things should be working.

I'm having the same issue today, using Proxmox 6.0 ISO. Using IPMI, booting via virtual ISO, get past the first prompt and then "No Input" where partition setup usually is. Xeon E3-1245v5 - 32GB

Hello, here the same problem. Booting over IPMI

Intel Core i3-8100
Supermicro X11SCH-F

Just to add to my stats- it's a Supermicro X11SSE-F board.
Supermicro issue? I'd love to be able to use Proxmox 6!

For me, a BIOS update helped. After he detected the NVME, the installer was also displayed.

Unfortunately, my drives are SATA. Also, bios is on 2.2 (2.2a is latest, but a minor update). Image attached of last seen on IPMI before "No signal"

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-23 at 10.11.37 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-23 at 10.11.37 pm.png
    765.4 KB · Views: 34
Same thing here. Blank screen and no signal after Wainting for /dev to be fully populated...
Server is a Supermicro 5019S-TN4 and board is X11SSV-M4F.
BIOS is latest v1.1 available.

Last edited:
Booting 5.4 installer is ok. So install 5.4 then upgrade to 6.0 is a workaround for now but not perfect.
Can it be fixable in the next version installer?

Booting 5.4 installer is ok. So install 5.4 then upgrade to 6.0 is a workaround for now but not perfect.
Can it be fixable in the next version installer?

So far it worked on all our servers, so if we cannot see the issue its hard to debug.

Yes I understand. I tried on other servers and the iso boot well.
Today I tried many BIOS setting without success (efi , legacy , video option rom etc...)
Is using debug install option can help to have more hints?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!