Proxmox & Debian blank screen on install

2020 almost end and I'm facing the same issue. As I've got quite busy day - I will start with waiting 30 mins first, as this is the least effort to get it fixed as far as I can see.
Mine turned out to be the display I was using. In my case, a Samsung TV. Once I connected to a normal monitor, all went well.

For anyone else hitting this, I have installed ProxMox successfully on a machine that was having this issue using PiKVM. Probably doesn't make sense as a solution unless you already need it but wanted to share the option. PiKVM.org

In my case it looks like a problem with the screen resolution. What I did was just set the Mode in the X11 config file for each display:

Bash:
cd /etc/X11
Xorg -configure
mv /xorg.conf.new ./xorg.conf
vi xorg.conf

Add the Modes supported in each SubSection "Display":

Code:
Section "Screen"
    Identifier    "Default Screen"
    Monitor      "Configured Monitor"
    DefaultDepth    24
    SubSection "Display"
        Depth    24
        Modes   "1024x768"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

This worked for me...as well as updating the BIOS.
This got me out of the black screen, but my installation was aborted. I am going to try to wait for 30-45 minutes. Will update once I get somewhere.
Update: I waited for an hour & the black screen is not going away.
Update: It worked after I updated my BIOS. BTW I installed it as UEFI. BTW my current system is Asrock A320M-HD4 Mobo, AMD Athlon 3000G CPU, 16GB (2 x *GB DDR4 3200MHz) RAM & WD Blue 240GB NVMe SSD. I am planning on purchasing a Lenovo ThinkCenter is my current setup works.
This might not be the right place to ask this question, but here it is. I have two Pis (3 & 4) running Home Assistant OS & UniFi Network Application (on Raspberry Pi OS). I am also fiddling with FreeNAS on my old i7. My goal is to consolidate as many devices as possible while keeping the power draw under control; I ALSO NEED TO IMPLEMENT GUACAMOLE INTO MY NETWORK. In the future I might also use Plex in my Network. But right now I want this. Can someone please suggest what is the best way to do so. I was also looking into Docker, but if I am not mistaken Proxmox only support LXC, right...?

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!