Proxmox Backup Server (beta)

I guess the Proxmox Backup Server could be also a proxmox installation, in order to restore the VM/containers on it?

It uses another port for the management part so it's co-installable. You always need to do a normal restore to get the VM/CT running again. Having incremental and deduplicated backups plus a very flexible pruning schedule available can allow one to make backups more often so one has always a recent state ready.

Reactions: EuroDomenii
Do you plan to make the client available for other distributions? Like CentOS or SUSE? Even MS Windows using vss? :)

Theoretically, you could already copy over the client from a Proxmox VE (or extract the client .deb) as it's a statically linked binary it should run on all modern Linux amd64 based systems. But yes, we'll still try to get a more in-depth integrations in more popular distributions. How this will exactly look like isn't yet 100% clear.

Reactions: ebiss and patefoniq
Question: Is this needed to install in separated server or could I use the same server already in use in my structure?

see: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/proxmox-backup-server-beta.72677/page-2#post-324884
and https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/installation.html#install-proxmox-backup-server-on-proxmox-ve

So yes, you can install on an existing server, especially for evaluation this is valid. For a production setup (once released as stable) we will recommend a separate server, for critical things like backups where many hosts/VMs/CTs save their critical data, this is just the safer approach.

Great work guys! Congratulations on the (beta) release! Already up and running for some testing on my host. :)

This is exactly the product I've been waiting for, thanks a lot!
I installed it on a testcluster but keep getting an error when trying to backup a pve node:
Code:
root@pve2:~# export PBS_REPOSITORY="pvetest2@pbs@192.168.178.235:datastore"             
root@pve2:~# proxmox-backup-client login             
Password for "pvetest2@pbs": ************
root@pve2:~# proxmox-backup-client backup root.pxar:/                 
Starting backup: host/pve2/2020-07-10T13:41:23Z
Client name: pve2
Starting protocol: 2020-07-10T15:41:23+02:00
Upload directory '/' to 'BackupRepository { user: Some("pvetest2@pbs"), host: Some("192.168.178.235"), store: "datastore" }' as root.pxar.didx
catalog upload error - HTTP Error 404 Not Found: Path not found.
Error: HTTP Error 404 Not Found: Path not found.
root@pve2:~# proxmox-backup-client status
┌───────┬───────────────────────┐
│ total │ 965267554304  (100 %) │
├───────┼───────────────────────┤
│ used  │     25559040    (0 %) │
├───────┼───────────────────────┤
│ avail │ 965241995264  (100 %) │
└───────┴───────────────────────┘

My pbs config:
Code:
root@pbs:/backup/host/pve2# proxmox-backup-manager datastore list
┌────────┬──────────┬─────────┐
│ name   │ path     │ comment │
╞════════╪══════════╪═════════╡
│ backup │ /backup/ │         │
└────────┴──────────┴─────────┘
root@pbs:/backup/host/pve2# proxmox-backup-manager user list
┌──────────────┬────────┬──────────────────────────┬───────────┬──────────┬───────┬───────────┐
│ userid       │ enable │                   expire │ firstname │ lastname │ email │ comment   │
╞══════════════╪════════╪══════════════════════════╪═══════════╪══════════╪═══════╪═══════════╡
│ pvetest2@pbs │      1 │ Thu Jan  1 01:00:00 1970 │           │          │       │           │
├──────────────┼────────┼──────────────────────────┼───────────┼──────────┼───────┼───────────┤
│ root@pam     │      1 │                          │           │          │       │ Superuser │
└──────────────┴────────┴──────────────────────────┴───────────┴──────────┴───────┴───────────┘
root@pbs:/backup/host/pve2# proxmox-backup-manager acl list
┌──────────────┬───────────────────┬───────────┬────────┐
│ ugid         │ path              │ propagate │ roleid │
╞══════════════╪═══════════════════╪═══════════╪════════╡
│ pvetest2@pbs │ /datastore/backup │         1 │ Admin  │
└──────────────┴───────────────────┴───────────┴────────┘
Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Hi,

this announcement sounds awesome! :)
Will the "repository design" be the same as usual (no-subscription-repo and enterprise-repo)? If yes: Are there any pricing plans for the enterprise repo yet?

And if file based restore (of Linux and Windows VMs) really will come true, PBS has the potential to be a full enterprise backup solution. This is... wow.

Thanks a lot and many greets
Stephan

Reactions: flames
whats the output of 'proxmox-backup-client version' ?

Code:
root@pve2:~# proxmox-backup-client version
Error: no such command 'version

I'm using 0.3.0-1:
Code:
root@pve2:~# dpkg -l | grep proxmox-backup-client
ii  proxmox-backup-client                0.3.0-1                             amd64        Proxmox Backup Client tools

I downloaded this version using the enterprise repo.

I downloaded this version using the enterprise repo.

The enterprise repository is still missing some parts (while we tested a lot and have no grave issue in mind we still did not want to just push all updates out to enterprise before a weekend - but the client could actually get moved).

Can you please download it from pve-no-subscription as 0.3 is too old as client version of 0.8.6 server, I'm afraid.

The enterprise repository is still missing some parts (while we tested a lot and have no grave issue in mind we still did not want to just push all updates out to enterprise before a weekend - but the client could actually get moved).

Can you please download it from pve-no-subscription as 0.3 is too old as client version of 0.8.6 server, I'm afraid.
I'll install the proxmox-backup-client from the no-subscribtion repo using some pinning rules as.
Thanks for the tip!

root@pve2:~# export PBS_REPOSITORY="pvetest2@pbs@192.168.178.235:datastore"
Oh and this should probably be:
Bash:
export PBS_REPOSITORY="pvetest2@pbs@192.168.178.235:backup"

As you datastore is named "backup" not "datatstore" :)

Why is this separate product and not a function of Proxmox? Is this market positioning strategy or something else?

Thanks a lot anyway. Backup has been one of the rough edges of ProxMox for some time now.

Why is this separate product and not a function of Proxmox? Is this market positioning strategy or something else?

There are reasons to not integrate it into Proxmox VE:
* a good backup strategy is not saving the backed up data on the same host, so we definitively want allowing people to run this completely separated - this is already reason enough.
* backup is not constrained to Proxmox VE, you do not have to use this with Proxmox VE at all - we did not want to put limits on usage here
* it is written in the rust programming language, Proxmox VE backend is mostly in perl (and some C code) - a separate project with a clean API interface between both of them to interact with each other, was not only quicker but also the cleanest and stablest way to combine this two use cases.
* we think a good and seamless integration in Proxmox VE can be done even if this is a separate project

Note that if you want you can still run it on Proxmox VE too.

Reactions: ebiss and flames

A function of Proxmox? Proxmox is the name of our company, we have several products. I assume you talk about Proxmox VE.

Proxmox Backup is a client-server architecture. The new Proxmox VE backup client is already integrated on Proxmox VE.

Backups should be always stored on a separate place and not on the same box as the data (but you can still do this is you want) and replicated to other datacenter or offsite.

The backup servers introduces quite some very cool technologies and is not limited to Proxmox VE, this is just the first and best integrated client.

Could we add tape library ??

A datastore is just a directory, you can copy/archive this directory to your tape, using your existing tape archive software.

And yes, a tape integration is on our wishlist.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!