proxmox-backup-client backup stops at gvfsd-fuse mount - exclude does not apply

florian.schroen

Apr 30, 2022
Hi,

I freshly installed PBS on top of my existing Homeserver/Fileserver and try to backup my users home dirs, which exits while creating the file list for backup.

Code:
homeserver:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Debian
Description:    Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
Release:        10
Codename:       buster

homeserver:~$ dpkg -l | grep proxmox-ba
ii  libproxmox-backup-qemu0                  1.1.0-1                                 amd64        Proxmox Backup Server client library for QEMU
ii  proxmox-backup-client                    1.1.13-2                                amd64        Proxmox Backup Client tools
ii  proxmox-backup-docs                      1.1.13-2                                all          Proxmox Backup Documentation
ii  proxmox-backup-file-restore              1.1.13-2                                amd64        Proxmox Backup single file restore tools for pxar and block device backups
ii  proxmox-backup-restore-image             0.2.3                                   amd64        Kernel/initramfs images for Proxmox Backup single-file restore.
ii  proxmox-backup-server                    1.1.13-3                                amd64        Proxmox Backup Server daemon with tools and GUI

homeserver:~$ df -h /home/florian
Filesystem                   Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/fileserver-data  3.2T  3.1T  146G  96% /srv/fileserver-data

homeserver:~$ proxmox-backup-client backup home_florian.pxar:/home/florian --repository 'root@pam!homeserver-backup@localhost:usbpool-pbs'
Starting backup: host/homeserver/2022-04-30T12:44:07Z
Client name: homeserver
Starting backup protocol: Sat Apr 30 14:44:07 2022
Downloading previous manifest (Fri Apr 29 19:41:07 2022)
Upload directory '/home/florian' to 'root@pam!homeserver-backup@localhost:8007:usbpool-pbs' as home_florian.pxar.didx
catalog upload error - channel closed
Error: stat failed on ".gvfs": EACCES: Permission denied
homeserver:~$

I don't know exactly where this mount is coming from or what to remove to get rid of this.
I guess ist from lxdm or something similar.
And it seems dependent to this thread https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/odd-directory-that-cannot-be-stat-ed-by-root.103727/

Code:
homeserver[255]:~$ ls -la /home/florian/.gvfs
ls: cannot access '/home/florian/.gvfs': Permission denied

homeserver[2]:~$ mount | grep .gvfs
gvfsd-fuse on /srv/fileserver-data/home/florian/.gvfs type fuse.gvfsd-fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1101,group_id=1101)

homeserver:~$ sudo -u florian ls -la /home/florian/.gvfs
total 4
dr-x------   2 florian florian     0 Apr 29 19:12 .
drwxr-x--- 115 florian www-data 4096 Apr 29 19:12 ..
homeserver:~$

So I tried to apply an exclude rule. Besides there is no clear example how to exclude a path, I searched the source code and guessed a few variants without success.
Code:
homeserver:~$ proxmox-backup-client backup home_florian.pxar:/home/florian --repository 'root@pam!homeserver-backup@localhost:usbpool-pbs' --exclude ".gvfs"
Starting backup: host/homeserver/2022-04-30T12:51:09Z
Starting backup protocol: Sat Apr 30 14:51:09 2022
Upload directory '/home/florian' to 'root@pam!homeserver-backup@localhost:8007:usbpool-pbs' as home_florian.pxar.didx
homeserver[255]:~$ proxmox-backup-client backup home_florian.pxar:/home/florian --repository 'root@pam!homeserver-backup@localhost:usbpool-pbs' --exclude '[".*\.gvfs.*"]'
Starting backup: host/homeserver/2022-04-30T12:51:59Z
Starting backup protocol: Sat Apr 30 14:51:59 2022
homeserver[255]:~$

So I guess the exclude will be applied after creating the file list (file stat)?
Or I made a mistake with the exclude syntax?

Can someone please verify my findings and point me to the right direction or a workaround?

Thank you very much.
Best Florian

p.s. after logging out user florian completely the fuse mount has been removed and the folder is accessible by root (and the backup-process):
Code:
homeserver:~$ ls -la ~florian/.gvfs/
total 8
drwx------   2 florian florian  4096 Jun 21  2012 .
drwxr-x--- 115 florian www-data 4096 Apr 30 22:16 ..

So the question is now: howto exclude this dir from backup to prevent backup abort for all backup-specs/-location when user is logged in.
thx.

Last edited:
Exactly what is happening with me after upgrading to 8 but with a smb mnt. Worked fine on 7.4
I posted a thread earlier

Even after remove the smb mnt I get the same error.

Error: error at "mnt/pve/proxmox_backups_Edrive_Rzyen": failed to read xattrs: EACCES: Permission denied

ah seems mine is working now with exclude!

--exclude "mnt/pve/proxmox_backups_Edrive_Rzyen"

I understood by default it excludes all /mnt/pve but doesn't in mine case

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!