Proxmox and Hardware RAID,

jorgemop

Dec 23, 2020
Proxmox and Hardware RAID, which storage type must use? I have been building a "Production environment" for apps 24x7, 3 IBM server (x3650 m3) (for now, but we have 8 x3650 m4), LSI raid card for RAID 5 on each one (for fault tolerance on each node); On top, Proxmox 6.3 with cluster and HA function on VMs and containers, and fencing to move machines on trouble. Now ZFS apparently it's not an option for storage because i use hardware raid, which can be the better config?

In forums only home labs available.

Thanks for your advice, we want to work with proxmox and i sure we can move all our machines from oracle VM manager

If you want to use ZFS you can try to set the raid-controller into jbod mode. A lot of LSI cards do support this.
JBOD mode disables the raid engine completely.

Otherwise obviously you will need to stick to LVM.

Reactions: jorgemop
I was able to flash my LSI raid card to IT-mode. In that case the LSI raid card works without raid and is just a dumb HBA fine for using with ZFS.
Not sure how that voids warranty if your raid cards are rebranded. I just used the official LSI firmware tools to flash another official LSI IT-mode firmware.

Last edited:
Valid point. However this depends if an IT Firmware is available.

Looks plausible.
I know different screens but in the end it varies by vendor and model.
Once configured you should just see the disks as they are (Seagate, Hitachi, Whatever) instead of a "megaraid LSI SAS device"

Reactions: jorgemop

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!