Proxmox 8 installer freezes at boot

Many thanks Thomas,
I tried to install as your istructions.

Graphical mode, not successfully (aborted/KO)

Terminal UI mode, OK installed Succesfully.

Maybe there are other problems with video card in Graphical mode even with nomodeset parameter.

Anyway the 8.1 has been installed.

Thanks again for the support.

FAB
This process worked for me with a GTX1650

I ran into the /dev to be fully populated error using the latest image as of 4/1/2024; proxmox-ve_8.1-2.iso.

The MB I am using has a generic PCI graphics card because the processor is a I5F without onboard graphics. HP ProDesk 400 G7 Intel i5 10400F.

I added the 'nomodeset' switch to the startup line and everything seems to be working fine now. Even after hard reboots.

This Nov 2014 Post ALSO recommends changing /etc/default/grub. See below.

I do not have this grub file, that I know of. Is this because the ISO has changed since then?

I don't want to run into a problem later. Should I create the /etc/default/grub file and add the '#GRUB_TERMINAL=console' line or is unnecessary at this point.

I also plan on upgrading the processor to a I7 11700K that has onboard graphics because I want to use the single 16x PCI slot for so something else.

Will I need remove 'nomodeset' at that time?

What other things will I need to do to the Proxmox installed instance, if any, when I change the processor?

Thanks!

From Nov 2014 Post:

If this ['nomodeset'] works simply change /etc/default/grub​
uncomment '#GRUB_TERMINAL=console'​
and comment 'GRUB_GFXMODE=some_Xxsome_Y​
Then: update-grub​

Anyone habe any advice for the questions above?

Thaks!

I'm trying to install Proxmox 8 on my server, and the installer freezes when booting like on beta version.

I tried graphical and console installation and same issue.

HW
Supermicro X10DRL-i Intel C612 Chipset Dual Xeon
CPU Intel Xeon E5-2630 V4
RAM 128GB
facing same issue im in my Advanced options but im not able to find Console nomodeset option can anyone help?

I was installing Proxmox on headless hardware with Intel vPro aka AMT aka ME (where there is no physically-connected monitor, yet the graphics are output via the VNC server embedded into the ME). I was experiencing black screen at some point during the boot of the installer.

After some troubleshooting I found out that the default kernel boot mode (KMS aka modesetting) would turn off the graphics output as it wouldn't find any physical sinks (CRTC):

Code:
kernel: i915 0000:00:02.0: [drm] Cannot find any crtc or sizes

Adding nomodeset when booting the graphical installer entry resulted in console output being present (no black screen anymore due to software framebuffer), however the Xserver for the graphical installer failed to start on a framebuffer device. The fix is a well-known adjustment of the Xorg config.

Adding nomodeset when booting the TUI installer entry solved the problem and let me finish the installation using the text mode.

TUI mode is definitely a step in the right direction for making headless installs possible. There's, of course, also room for improvement. For example, a check-box (or similar) for headless mode in the installer which would add nomodeset to the default Grub Linux command line on a freshly installed system. This can certainly be done manually after the installation (/etc/default/grub.d), but having it managed by the installer in a simple way (for less experienced users) would be a very nice touch.

Reactions: nemjojh4
i have the same problem when installing proxmox 8.2.2 on Xeon 2673v3/32GB DDR3/GT310
However, I successfully installed it when use "nomodeset" on the terminal installer

the Xserver for the graphical installer failed to start on a framebuffer device. The fix is a well-known adjustment of the Xorg config.
A short update: looks like this was fixed in 8.2, e.g. the graphical installer seems to work on a framebuffer device now. This now works with the 'nomodeset' option.

Thanks for the info, so the HW is quite a bit older than what we tested.

Boot to the initial installer grub menu.
There press the e key to edit a boot entry (e.g., the Graphical one)
Use the arrow keys to navigate to the line that starts with linux, move to the right where the quiet parameter is, delete that (so we maybe get a bit more info) and add nomodeset there, just as the screenshot below:

View attachment 58654
Then press CTRL + X to boot.

So potentially an issue with the newer kernel, hmm maybe we can get some hands on such old NVIDIA GPUs somewhere.
Thank you for posting this workaround, it got me past this issue

Thanks for the info, so the HW is quite a bit older than what we tested.

Boot to the initial installer grub menu.
There press the e key to edit a boot entry (e.g., the Graphical one)
Use the arrow keys to navigate to the line that starts with linux, move to the right where the quiet parameter is, delete that (so we maybe get a bit more info) and add nomodeset there, just as the screenshot below:

View attachment 58654
Then press CTRL + X to boot.

So potentially an issue with the newer kernel, hmm maybe we can get some hands on such old NVIDIA GPUs somewhere.

Thank you, this solution works for me as well.

AMD Threadripper 1950x
Asus X399-A Prime
GeForce GT 710

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!