Proxmox 8 installer freezes at boot

Or simply install debian 12, add the Proxmox repository and install proxmox-ve ?
Reboot, run apt update/upgrade, remove the debian kernel and autoremove --purge in the end.
That's it.

It's just a deal breaker only for people who want to create an zfs pool to install the OS ontop.

But those can simply install pve7.4 and upgrade to 8.0....

I mean there are enough ways to get it working.

And you guys shouldn't "expect" or tell the Proxmox Team what to do...
Especially if you don't even have a subscription or support the people that put their time into, in any ways.

If i would be someone from the Proxmox Team, i would ignore this thread tbh, after reading the posts here.

----

However, im wondering only why the new console installer and nomodeset isn't working.
It's specifically made for the case that you can install with an unsupported gpu.

Cheers

Or simply install debian 12, add the Proxmox repository and install proxmox-ve ?
Reboot, run apt update/upgrade, remove the debian kernel and autoremove --purge in the end.
That's it.

I don't think asking for an ISO that boots is unreasonable. This is software that businesses run on, after all.

I don't think asking for an ISO that boots is unreasonable. This is software that businesses run on, after all.

That's what a support ticket is for, after all.

Is that an unreasonable answer? Nope
It's that a nice answer? Nope

Hopefully you understand and others start either what the point is.

Cheers

I have the exact same problem; can't install any of my machines with it.. I have an AMD Ryzen that gets stuck at boot, an Intel Xeon on a Supermicro server board that also gets stuck, and I'm reading about reports from people all over the internet.. it's annoying as F*** needing to install 7.4 right now, but I really need the hypervisor up and running..

It blows my mind that there are many people having issues with it, but not a single bugfix has been released.. I mean, an installation test on a few machines would have instantly show the issue.

I have the exact same problem; can't install any of my machines with it.. I have an AMD Ryzen that gets stuck at boot, an Intel Xeon on a Supermicro server board that also gets stuck, and I'm reading about reports from people all over the internet.. it's annoying as F*** needing to install 7.4 right now, but I really need the hypervisor up and running..

It blows my mind that there are many people having issues with it, but not a single bugfix has been released.. I mean, an installation test on a few machines would have instantly show the issue.

Agreed. Since you are a paying subscriber, perhaps you could raise a support ticket? A fix for this is certainly overdue...

Reactions: DoronK
Having this issue almost 5 months later. Can I have the Proxmox Ceo Message me with a solution?

me also and i just made a post of this and found this one after....

will try 7.4 and then i upgrade i guess

EDIT: 7.4 goes a bit further but also hangs later on

ctrl+f2 and i see this error

1699708261204.png

if i install with debug

1699708306666.png

Last edited:
me also and i just made a post of this and found this one after....

will try 7.4 and then i upgrade i guess

EDIT: 7.4 goes a bit further but also hangs later on

ctrl+f2 and i see this error

View attachment 57895

if i install with debug

View attachment 57896
Thanks for actually providing some info like error messages, fixes for issues that we cannot reproduce cannot just magically happen and rely on such information.

Additionally, what hardware is this (CPU and GPU)? Seems like there's an NVIDIA GPU in there?

Did you try the nomodeset option (from advanced menu in the 8.0 installer) or the TUI installer?

Our pre-release testing was done on a wide set of different servers and workstations from very recent ones up to rather ancient (10+ year old) ones, and we did not see this issue, as otherwise we could naturally reproduce and thus actually look into fixing it.

FWIW, We also monitor issues in enterprise environments more closely in our enterprise support portal, in general the problem ratio is tiny, and also not higher than past releases, so with that and the high six-figure count of 8.x releases successfully reporting to our update-repo CDN servers it seems like this only affects a few specific system – so getting more info about HW would definitively great, maybe we can isolate something that they have in common, or see if we can get on some test-HW that matches an affected configuration

@t.lamprecht
I just ran into the same issue: the installer 8.0-2 stalled on loading drivers. None of the advanced mode options (including nomodeset) worked.
The installer usb-stick is fine, as it worked like a charm on a MacBook Pro 2010.
I had to fall back to the Proxmox 7 installer: version 7.4-1 did the job.
I then ran the dist-upgrade to 8 without any issues.

The attached screenshot (advanced: debugging mode) provides the displayed log. Hopefully this can help fixing the issue.

Graphic card:
Zotac GeForce GT 710 PCIe x1 Graphics Card NVIDIA GT 710 1GB DDR3 64bit Base Clock 954MHz 1.6GHz DVI-D HDMI VGA Passive Cooled

Motherboard & CPU:
GIGABYTE X570 AORUS Master (Bios Ver. F37g, is latest)
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-core
128GB DDR4-3200 RAM

Proxmox8InstallerHangsLR.jpg

The attached screenshot (advanced: debugging mode) provides the displayed log. Hopefully this can help fixing the issue.
Can you please also check the other TTYs for some error's, e.g., from the xserver?
Switch with CTRL + ALT + FX (where FX is e.g., F2 for tty2)

Last edited:
I assume by TUI you mean the text installer: no, it threw the same errors. I tried every single of the advanced options.
As for trying out other TTYs, this unfortunately is now complicated, as I finally have the server live again and I don't want to mess with it, as I had a lot of problems with it recently. :-(

>Did you try the nomodeset option from the 8.0 installer's advanced menu?
It worked!!!!! Thanks. That's great service. Answer within less than 60 minutes.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!