Proxmox 8 installer freezes at boot

I personally tested the installer on a system with an NVIDIA GTX1080, and it worked fine there, other colleagues tested too on NVIDIA, Intel and AMD GPUs, so there's not a generic problem, but rather some specific setups are affected. You could start with telling us your hardware details (at least CPU, motherboard, GPU model).

And as you can see from this thread various user could get it to work by using the nomodeset parameter, did you try that? It can be a valid workaround (which we cannot enable by default as that breaks another set of HW).

Did you also try the Terminal UI options in the installer (possibly also with nomodeset)?

Note that we're constantly evaluating how to improve the graphic support in the installer, having some vendors like NVIDIA that do not play well with FOSS system does not help, and from experience I know that enabling some option or fix might make it work for a set of specific setup, but break it for another one. With the NVK open source driver for NVIDIA hardware (done again by others than NVIDIA) it might get better in a year or so.

Last edited:
Dear Thomas,

Current hardware configuration is MB X99-D8 with CPU E5-2650Lv3, Graphic card is NVIDIA GTX 610.
Tried to change Graphic card with other Nvidia GTX 710 , but still freeze during boot.
Tried other options to Install (Terminal UI) without success.
Please explain me better how to put the nomodeset parameter in the advanced install option.

Till now, the only version I'm able to succesfull install is the 7.4

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestion.

Regards
FAB

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, so the HW is quite a bit older than what we tested.
Please explain me better how to put the nomodeset parameter in the advanced install option.
Boot to the initial installer grub menu.
There press the e key to edit a boot entry (e.g., the Graphical one)
Use the arrow keys to navigate to the line that starts with linux, move to the right where the quiet parameter is, delete that (so we maybe get a bit more info) and add nomodeset there, just as the screenshot below:

1700755627886.png
Then press CTRL + X to boot.

Till now, the only version I'm able to succesfull install is the 7.4
So potentially an issue with the newer kernel, hmm maybe we can get some hands on such old NVIDIA GPUs somewhere.

Many thanks Thomas,
I tried to install as your istructions.

Graphical mode, not successfully (aborted/KO)

Terminal UI mode, OK installed Succesfully.

Maybe there are other problems with video card in Graphical mode even with nomodeset parameter.

Anyway the 8.1 has been installed.

Thanks again for the support.

FAB

for the record:

Hi the same story as @fabitaly67 , nomodeset required. Graphical mode failed (later than without `nomodeset`). Terminal UI. ok.

Configuration:

Code:
root@prox:~# lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 4th Gen Core Processor DRAM Controller (rev 06)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor PCI Express x16 Controller (rev 06)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI (rev 04)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection I217-V (rev 04)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI #2 (rev 04)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port #1 (rev d4)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev d4)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI #1 (rev 04)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Z87 Express LPC Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller 1 [AHCI mode] (rev 04)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 04)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK104 [GeForce GTX 760] (rev a1)
01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GK104 HDMI Audio Controller (rev a1)
03:00.0 PCI bridge: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1083/1085 PCIe to PCI Bridge (rev 03)
04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8100/8101L/8139 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (rev 10)

The trouble is most likely with the driver that powers Nvidia Kepler-based GPUs. I know plenty of low-power models are in various servers still to this day. Pascal and above had a different driver so most likely not affected.

Last edited:
This same exact thing is happening to me, I have a 5950x and RTX 3080. Not sure if the old architecture theory is valid. I was able to get it to work using the nomodeset workaround though, thank you for that!

EDIT: Just FYI, the GUI install using nomodeset does not work, but installing with the terminal UI with nomodeset does work. Otherwise it always freezes when loading the Nvidia drivers

Last edited:
I have two Dell ProLiant R210 same problem. It is always the drivers regardless wot hardware or Linux dist.
//marsk

We have been experiencing this issue lately. For us issues started in version 7.3 and continue with 8.0 and 8.1 ISO.

Computers that could not boot ISO 8.1:
- ASUS B550M-K, Ryzen 5950X, NVIDIA GTX 730
06:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK208B [GeForce GT 730] (rev a1)

Adding "nomodeset" to kernel line for text-mode installer works.

Last edited:
This same exact thing is happening to me, I have a 5950x and RTX 3080. Not sure if the old architecture theory is valid. I was able to get it to work using the nomodeset workaround though, thank you for that!

EDIT: Just FYI, the GUI install using nomodeset does not work, but installing with the terminal UI with nomodeset does work. Otherwise it always freezes when loading the Nvidia drivers
Thank you it worked for me like you

I should have come to this thread first! I would have liked to see if `nomodeset` would have worked per the proxmox team member's advice.
Dual 3090 TI machine - I ended up installing 7.4 first instead and then upgrading to 8. In 7.4, I ran in debug mode and followed these steps per this thread - I was unable to get into debug mode in 8. From there I was able to join the cluster and map in the gpus as normal.
Thanks all -

I had the same issue but was able to use the GUI installer by:

1. Disabling CSM (Compatibility Support Mode)
  2. Enabling iGPU
  3. Only using the onboard HDMI, nothing plugged into the GPU
Specs:
cpu: Intel i9
mb: Asus Strix z590
gpu: MSI RTX 3080ti

Reactions: TetraSlider
why is everyone saying this I checked the advanced menu and there is no option called nomodeset???
There was one in earlier versions, but due to the addition of the serial console entries the menus got quite bloated, and as adding such options can be easily done on any boot entry anyway, the specific one for nomodeset was removed.
See the following post for how to add such options:
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/proxmox-8-installer-freezes-at-boot.129341/page-3#post-608469

Stumbled across this thread while actively debugging . I just tried the `nomodeset` option for the Graphical installer (following the instructions in the link above). Pressed `ctrl + alt + F2` to view tty logs and see:

Code:
Fatal server error:
    Cannot run in framebuffer mode. Please specify busIDs for all framebuffer devices.

Going to try the CLI installer, but figured I'd post this incase it's useful.

Hardware:
Ryzen 5 1600
MSI B450 motherboard
GTX 1660

Last edited:
I had the same issue but was able to use the GUI installer by:

1. Disabling CSM (Compatibility Support Mode)
  2. Enabling iGPU
  3. Only using the onboard HDMI, nothing plugged into the GPU
Specs:
cpu: Intel i9
mb: Asus Strix z590
gpu: MSI RTX 3080ti
Thanks alot mate. Nothing worked, neither gui with nomodeset or terminal with nomodeset. Bur disabling CSM in BIOS worked perfectly!

Reactions: theblinkingusb
I have the same problem to, my installer is stuck after I swapped my graphic card, from nVidia GTX 3060 to an older nVidia GT 200 card.
Installer work good with nVidia GTX 3060 but not the older card I have.

I ran into the /dev to be fully populated error using the latest image as of 4/1/2024; proxmox-ve_8.1-2.iso.

The MB I am using has a generic PCI graphics card because the processor is a I5F without onboard graphics. HP ProDesk 400 G7 Intel i5 10400F.

I added the 'nomodeset' switch to the startup line and everything seems to be working fine now. Even after hard reboots.

This Nov 2014 Post ALSO recommends changing /etc/default/grub. See below.

I do not have this grub file, that I know of. Is this because the ISO has changed since then?

I don't want to run into a problem later. Should I create the /etc/default/grub file and add the '#GRUB_TERMINAL=console' line or is unnecessary at this point.

I also plan on upgrading the processor to a I7 11700K that has onboard graphics because I want to use the single 16x PCI slot for so something else.

Will I need remove 'nomodeset' at that time?

What other things will I need to do to the Proxmox installed instance, if any, when I change the processor?

Thanks!

From Nov 2014 Post:

If this ['nomodeset'] works simply change /etc/default/grub​
uncomment '#GRUB_TERMINAL=console'​
and comment 'GRUB_GFXMODE=some_Xxsome_Y​
Then: update-grub​

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!