[SOLVED] Fresh Proxmox Install with /dev to be fully populated error

wahmed

Famous Member
Oct 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
www.symmcom.com
I did a fresh Proxmox install on a dual Xeon CPU node with 64GB RAM. After booting it sits with the following error.
dev-error.png
This same node had proxmox installed previously but with single Xeon without issue. To make sure something did not go wrong during installation i reinstalled Proxmox again but same issue. But i can SSH into the node, checked all services running. Any idea?

Last edited:
Re: Fresh Proxmox Install with /dev to be fully populated error

When the grub boot menu shows press 'e'. Then find the line where boot parameters are listed for the kernel. To this line add 'nomodeset' and press Ctrl-X to boot. The reason is that grub wants to insert a frame buffer to boot the console in high graphics mode but nomodeset ensures that grub boots using stdvga driver.

If this works simply change /etc/default/grub

uncomment '#GRUB_TERMINAL=console'
and comment 'GRUB_GFXMODE=some_Xxsome_Y

Then: update-grub

Last edited:

When the grub boot menu shows press 'e'. Then find the line where boot parameters are listed for the kernel. To this line add 'nomodeset' and press Ctrl-X to boot. The reason is that grub wants to insert a frame buffer to boot the console in high graphics mode but nomodeset ensures that grub boots using stdvga driver.

If this works simply change /etc/default/grub

uncomment '#GRUB_TERMINAL=console'
and comment 'GRUB_GFXMODE=some_Xxsome_Y

Then: update-grub

Huh! That was it! Adding nomdoeset worked. It booted to prompt just fine without /dev error.
I went to /etc/default/grub as your suggestion. It appears that both lines are commented. So i uncommented terminal console line and left gfxmode commented then rebooted. Issue was back.
So edited the following line /etc/default/grub and it rebooted just fine:
Changed from
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet"
To
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet nomodeset"

Also i do not use allow-hotplug eth0 in interface config.

Thanks mir!!

OK. A problem with the i915 driver then. In that case you should apply it to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX instead to ensure it also adds nomodeset to maintenance mode as well.

I just installed Proxmox VE 3.4 and had the same problem: black screen after "Waiting for /dev to be fully populated". The graphics in my test system is integrated in the CPU (Intel Pentium G3220 - Hashwell architecture).
Editing /etc/default/grub and replacing
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet"
with
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet nomodeset"
and running "update-grub" solved the problem.
I think it should be added somewhere in the Wiki ;)

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I am trying to install the latest proxmox 8.1.
For this purpose, I am at the mercy of smart people like all of you.

I followed the below
When the grub boot menu shows press 'e'. Then find the line where boot parameters are listed for the kernel. To this line add 'nomodeset' and press Ctrl-X to boot.

After the above I got a console and tried to find the /etc/default/grub file but it's not there.
Anyway, I made the grub file myself and added the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet nomodeset". But the problem is when I run
"update-grub" command I get the below error

-bash: update-grub - command not found

I am not able to install grub as well.

Anyone got an idea how to make it work properly to install proxmox 8.1?

Look at the attached image.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20240124_114719.jpg
    IMG_20240124_114719.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 11

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!