Proxmox 5.4 -> 6 Cluster completely down after upgrade

ginjaninja

Aug 25, 2019
Hello all,

first I wasn't able to perform the pve5to6 command which the Proxmox guide stated, So i wasn't able to confirm stability of the environment, however it's a pretty low configuration setup..
2 Nodes were in a functional ProxMox VE 5.4 environment, several VMs and containers were residing on both.. No high availability or replication were in use. Backups were scheduled to a USB drive attached to one of the Nodes.
I processed the upgrade and while going through the process, the only error I encountered was a 'removal of proxmox-ve' prompt. After research I found simply touching a 'remove-proxmox-ve' command was needed, I tried it. And the upgrade completed with no error. Upon reboot, I have the following:

- Node 1: Has SSH enabled but no Webgui, if I nmap to that IP with looking at any ports between 1 and 443, 443 isn't listed so it isn't accepting HTTPS
- Node 2: Doesn't have HTTPS or SSH running on it, so I cannot administer that device without a monitor or IPMI, which luckily I do on that unit.

What shall I do first?

Last edited:
After some modifications to the sources.list file and used that very command. I have one more online, I'll be using ipmi to enable ssh again.

Thank you!

I was successful on the first node, but the next. I'm receiving an emergency mode notification. The journalctl feedback is extreme to say the least.

While sweating bullets. I took this forum post's advice for both of my nodes..
- Create that empty file listed on this post, #16: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/e...hare-proxmox-ve-pve-apt-hook-not-found.45436/
- https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/upgrade-from-5-4-to-6-0-failed.57105/
Mainly moving any source lists from /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ to /home. And retrofitting the /etc/apt/sources.list to what's listed at post #4.

Then issued apt update, apt dist-upgrade.. And finally apt install proxmox-ve.. But I'm still getting the Emergency mode.. Any ideas?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!