Privileged LXC group IDs different to host after restore

mike604

Dec 29, 2023
Hi,

I have just done a clean install of PVE 8.1.3 after changing some hardware in the host. I have restored my Plex LXC and some of the groups have different IDs in the container than the host which is breaking my GPU transcoding.

The render group is ID 107 in the LXC but 104 on the host. On the previous install, these were the same.

I have tried to change the owner from the LXC back to render which also changed the owner to messagebus on the host.

Is there a way to reset these group mappings?

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-29 115456.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-29 115456.png
    145.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot 2023-12-29 115543.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-29 115543.png
    26.8 KB · Views: 6
Hi, can you show the container config, i.e., the output of pct config VMID (change VMID accordingly)? Is a privileged container, or do you have any LXC uid/gid mappings [1] in place?

Do you access /dev/dri/renderD128 only inside the container, or also on the host? If you access it only inside the container, it shouldn't really matter what group owns it on the host. One option would be to change its group to the gid of the render group inside the container, which is 107: chown root:107 /dev/dri/renderD128

[1] https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Unprivileged_LXC_containers

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!