[SOLVED] Postmortem: Crontab destroying ssh authorized_hosts, failing out migrations

Armada

Aug 2, 2022
Howdy.

I've been a proxmox user for about 5 years now, but I've never post here. Time to start with a learning moment! While diagnosing an issue, I discovered a classic PEBCAK problem that I'd like to share just for anyone who may be encountering the same problem.

To make a long story short, if your migrations are failing, and you're getting key errors while trying to console to another node in your cluster even after following the tool fixes (eg update-certs). You might want to check your crontab.

When I had a single node, I used github and crontab to curl down my SSH keys every few minutes. This will overwrite the .ssh/authorized_keys file, which is linked to the priv/authorized_key file. Its what caused my problem, and hopefully for the singular person out there who does this as well, I hope this saves some time!

Thanks!
Hope it helps.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!