Performance differential between a VM vs LXC?

verulian

Feb 18, 2019
Curious: has anyone done an analysis of what the memory and processors utilization differentials are between a virtual machine and an LXC container?

I think it would be interesting to see how much more RAM a large and small virtual machine may use compared to both a large and small a container of the same or similar configuration. I also think it would be interesting to see how much CPU loss or additional utilization is demanded in the same scenarios.

There probably are a couple of comparisons to find on the internet.
However, if I want the separation of a VM for whatever reasons, I wouldn't care about the additional resources needed.

I certainly understand, but it would still be interesting to get some metrics for better comprehension. I've done a good bit of digging and everyone SAYS stuff about what we already understand, but I don't see any actual measurements to see real differentials between the two. Really a shame they're not slapped in a very visible place already. Probably not horrible to dig up some data, but I'm not sure of the right approach myself yet. Hum.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!