PBS better on a NAS or PVE host?

nezu

Apr 16, 2024
nezu.cc
YES, I AM WELL AWARE THAT NEITHER IS SUPPORTED, pretty much nothing in my lab is ;), no need to tell me this 5 times.
My own system, used only by me, if I break it or lose data, I won't come crying here, I promise.

On some of my systems, I'm running PBS on the same host as PVE, and this works great when the storage is local, but now I have a system where the backup storage will be on another system (NAS), probably mounted over NFS. So I'm wondering, in theory, what would be better (performance-wise, and potential pitfalls), running PBS on the PVE host like I always did and mounting storage on NFS, or running PBS as a VM on the NAS (this way it will have the lowest latency to the actual storage).

I don't really care about performance that much, I would just like to pick the slightly more performant and/or reliable option.
If anybody has any experience doing crazy setups like this, or at least the theory behind it, I would love to know. If I don't get a solid answer I'll probably try both and see what happens.

Side question, feel free to ignore if you don't have a good answer. Does PBS need sync writes? Like, will it shit itself completely (like many databases) if I force them to be async, or will only the last operation that was in progress break and the rest will be fine? I'm assuming async writes are a tragic idea, but asking just in case anyone has anything interesting to say

what would be better (performance-wise, and potential pitfalls), running PBS on the PVE host like I always did and mounting storage on NFS, or running PBS as a VM on the NAS
Later is better, but only NAS with x86 cpu because PBS is only x86.

> Later is better
thanks

> but only NAS with x86 cpu because PBS is only x86.
obviously, at least for now ;)

I've seen some community projects in the past building it for arm64. Debian fully supports ARM. I get why proxmox doesn't want to support it officially, fair enough, no "real" customers, but I don't think there is a technical reason why it couldn't run in theory, it's just moving data around. An installer is probably not gonna happen, but an arm testing repo that you can add to an existing Debian install would be cool ngl, we can only pray.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!