OVH vrack and VMs

qifei

Jun 14, 2020
Hello, I'm looking for help on configuring the ovh vrack for VMs hosted by proxmox ve 6.
I already configured public IP and vrack private IP on my proxmox host and, through vmbr0 bridge, I already assigned a different public ip to my ubuntu 20.04 VM.
I'm a kind of lost on how to bridge the second network device of my host, the one that has been created by ovh vrack to manage private networks.
This is the current /etc/network/interface of proxmox host:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eno1 inet manual

iface eno2 inet manual

auto eno2.42
iface eno2.42 inet static
address 10.42.80.110/16

iface enp0s20f0u8u3c2 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet dhcp
bridge-ports eno1
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0

Do I need to create a second Linux bridge linked to the vrack network interface of my host?
If yes, do I need to assign a local ip to this bridge? If I choose this option proxmox creates this configuration into the host interface file.

auto vmbr2
iface vmbr2 inet static
address 10.42.80.200/16
bridge-ports eno2
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0

About the second network device of my VM linked to vmbr2 do I need to assign or not the VLAN tag (42 in my case)?

Sorry for these newbie questions, I know they are very basic but maybe the configuration I'm trying to set up is so basic for almost everybody that I didn't find any example that can help me.

Adding some more info hoping to receive support or at least a hint.
I set up the second bridged net vmbr2 on the host with a static ip

auto vmbr2
iface vmbr2 inet static
address 10.42.80.200/16
bridge-ports eno2
bridge-stp off
bridge-fd 0
bridge-vlan-aware yes
bridge-vids 2-4094

And I set a static ip on the second NIC of my VM

ethernets:
ens19:
dhcp4: no
dhcp6: no
addresses: [10.42.80.210/16]

from the VM I'm not able to ping neither 10.42.80.200 nor any other ip in the vlan.

I think I solved by myself after 1 million of attempts, not sure it's a right configuration because I'm completely newbie.
With regard to the ethernet port created on the host by OVH vRack ( in my case eno2) I created a Linux VLAN without assigning an IP address and then I created a bridge vmbr2 on it assigning the internal ip address for my host
1592198981769.png

After applying the configuration to the host I manually added the ip_forward to vmbr2 in /etc/network/interfaces and I restarted the networking service

1592199236711.png

On the VM side I created a new network device based on vmbr2 bridge without VLAN tag value
1592199390118.png

In my ubuntu20.04 VM I edited the /etc/netplan/01-netcfg.yaml adding the new network device with a static address for my private lan.
1592199581811.png

Restarting the netplan service of my VM now I can ping the other servers of my 10.42.xxx.xxx vlan.

1. I don't know if I followed the correct policies, it's working at the moment and I'll check it further.
2. I know that what I did it's quite obvious and basic for most of you, but I'm writing the procedure so other people will not waste a couple of days&nights on a simple issue like this.

ciao

Reactions: katsutosh

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!