openvswitch vs linux bridge performance

It has been a long time since I have benched them, but until you use dpdk with ovs (not implemented in proxmox), performance should be the same.
and I always have seen more cpu usage with ovs.

I'll try to do test this month, bandwith and pps to compare.

(I still prefer linux bridge, I have see too much bug report with ovs daemon)

My impression is also that linux bridge is the stable and simple choice but with fewer features than ovs. Whether linux bridge or ovs is simpler to configure is a matter of taste ;-)

Looking forward to see the result of your test. A comparison of cpu usage order load could be interesting too?

>>My impression is also that linux bridge is the stable and simple choice but with fewer features than ovs.
do you have specific missing feature in mind ?

>>Looking forward to see the result of your test.
>> A comparison of cpu usage order load could be interesting too?
yes, no problem.

It has been a long time since I have benched them, but until you use dpdk with ovs (not implemented in proxmox), performance should be the same.
and I always have seen more cpu usage with ovs.

I'll try to do test this month, bandwith and pps to compare.

(I still prefer linux bridge, I have see too much bug report with ovs daemon)
HI Spirit. Out of interest, were you able to perform some benchmarks eventually? Thanks.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!