OpenMediaVault NAS on Proxmox

notarobot

Apr 15, 2019
Hello,
So I've setup my Proxmox on a PCIe 500GB inside my server. I started my first machines (PiHole, LibreNMS, etc...). Now what I need to do is to use 4 3Tb HDDs to setup a NAS.
What I did was to create my VM on the SSD and I connected the physical drives through "qm set VMID --sataX /dev/sdX". One ce the four disks in OMV I started building a NAS. This was the easiest for me because I understood what I did and it uses things I know (RAID 5).
The thing is I the transfer speed is way lower than when I had a physical OMV (~40mb/s instead of 90Mb/s).

What did I do wrong ? I'm ready to start over if it's necessary, I really just want a high performance NAS that is as easy as it is possible to manage.

The disks are still passed through the virtualization stack.
You would probably get better results when passing them through as virtio-scsi, instead of sata (sata emulation in qemu is mostly only recommended for legacy systems which don't support scsi/virito-scsi).

Another option would be to pass-through a HBA completely to the VM - but this needs support from your mainboard and hardware - see https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#qm_pci_passthrough

That all being said - there will probably always be a slight overhead of virtualization.

Hope this helps!

I tried to add an SCSI Hard Drive on the machine, but I don't see my disks. Should I create a volume before adding it ?

does `qm set VMID --scsiX /dev/sdY` not work?
(also consider using more stable paths like /dev/disk/by-id/ata-XXXXXXX)

You're right that seems better.
Anyway I'll try to activate IOMMU and pass my SATA controller to my OMV VM that seems the simpler and better solution you propose.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!