No working network during/after install of PVE - GK41 Clone

krcm0209

Sep 17, 2023
I'm trying to get Proxmox up and running with this PC. It is a clone of the Minisforum GK41. This PC has two separate ethernet controllers, each wired up to one of two ethernet ports on the back of the machine. I have tried to plug an ethernet cable from either of these ports back to my router, but in any case, no network activity lights appear (no orange and no green).

The output from `lspci` only shows one "Network Controller", which is "Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter (rev 31)".

I've tried to fumble through various guides for getting wireless networking setup so that I can download drivers for the ethernet controllers, but so far I have been unsuccessful. I do not have a USB network adapter to sidestep my issues.

What can I do? Does anyone here have experience with this specific PC/chipset?

Setup boot, install, and lspci photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/A7royvSQDn8tmYNY7

Last edited:
I dont suppose you know what Ethernet controller this has? Obviously it is not being detected but knowing what it is might point to whether or not it is supported by pve or if you need to download and compile drivers.

Or it could be broken.

About wifi on pve...very few wifi chips will work with a bridge. Since that is the default way of connecting vms pve doesnt really want to use wifi as the main network. Hence the wireless-tools not being installed even though pve is based on Debian.

The Debian installer on the other had will configure wifi. So one option would be to install Debian, get your lan ports working, then put pve on top. The pve docs explain how to do that.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!