No email notification for zfs status degraded

monokular

Apr 9, 2021
Hello,
I installed zfs-zed via # apt-get install zfs-zed and edited /etc/zfs/zed.d/zed.rc to uncomment ZED_EMAIL_ADDR="root" as described here: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/ZFS_on_Linux#_activate_e_mail_notification

zpool status is degraded, but I do not get an E-Mail. Other notifications from PVE are fine. I'm using postfix for email.

# zpool status pool: zpool1 state: DEGRADED status: One or more devices are faulted in response to persistent errors. Sufficient replicas exist for the pool to continue functioning in a degraded state. action: Replace the faulted device, or use 'zpool clear' to mark the device repaired. scan: scrub repaired 0B in 04:37:39 with 0 errors on Sun Mar 14 05:01:41 2021 config: NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM zpool1 DEGRADED 0 0 0 mirror-0 DEGRADED 0 0 0 sdb ONLINE 0 0 0 sdc FAULTED 3 0 0 too many errors errors: No known data errors

mira

Proxmox Staff Member
Staff member
Aug 1, 2018
Was the pool already degraded when you installed and configured zed?

mira

Proxmox Staff Member
Staff member
Aug 1, 2018
It is an Event Daemon, so it will only send a mail when that event appears.

Bran-Ko

Jul 31, 2019
Slovakia, Zilina
Hello, I confirm that. I was testing my ZFS. When disk was removed (mechanicaly from slot) - nothings happend pool was DEGRADED without any notification. But when disk was replaced and pool was resilvered I got email notofication. For me it is so late (notification).

cholzer

Nov 5, 2021
wow, I just ran into this while testing proxmox as I consider to switch to it.

1. I am shocked that this has not been resolved in zed in over a year
2. I am also dissapointed that proxmox does not come with a drive health alert/report system out of the box, you'd think that this is kinda essential to have... o_O

I now made these changes https://github.com/cbane/zfs/commit/f4f16389413061ed0b670df1cbd17954518a3096
here /usr/lib/zfs-linux/zed.d/statechange-notify.sh
and I at least get the notification now when a disk is disconnected / drops out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Inworks IT and oha

j1a2o

Feb 14, 2021
Wow, this is crazy. I think I'm still running into this bug in 2022. Is there a way to get notifications when a drive goes dead?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get your own in 60 seconds.

Buy now!