NFS share not letting containers read or write when mounted through the webGUI

Tyrandrewsaur

May 4, 2022
So I have been trying to get an NFS share to work on my proxmox containers to use them to backup our websites and also the containers that the websites are on. So far I can get both the PVE and also the containers to see the NFS and read and write to it with mount when logged into each container and the host proxmox. After I had that working I then was looking for a way to mount them permanently and first tried Fstab but that hasnt worked at all on reboots.

I have looked at other forums that say to use the GUI to do this so I tried it, I went to the datacenter storage and added the NFS. the Node host machine can see it fine and also read and write to it now, but when I add it as a mount point on a Container through the GUI or add it as a bind mount using the pct set command then the NFS does not show any folders or files currently in the NFS nor can I write to it either.

I have been attempting this for a few weeks now and no forum seems to have any answers I am looking for so here are things that would help me out a lot:

1. Why can't I just use Fstab to mount the NFS on boot? that is the easiest options for me but I am not sure why I can't just do it as my Fstab says it is unconfigured.
  2. If Fstab won't work, then how do I get the webgui to use mount point option to show all recursive files and directories in the NFS and let me read and write to them from inside the container (remember, i can read and write to the NFS from the PVE node machine just not containers)?
  3. If none of these options will work are their other methods that could for the purpose of remote storage of backups for Proxmox containers and files inside those containers?
So far I have noticed when trying to research solutions to this problem I always miss an easy but critical first step, such as not knowing the you need to enable a checkbox to use NFS on containers whereas all the guides I looked up for using an NFS on proxmox never explained that I even needed to do that. So just keep that in mind when attempting to answer.

I do not know if I need to give any files or logs here so please let me know if any of that could be useful and I will add it.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!