Newb question about ZFS/CEPH etc

SimonMcNair

Jun 22, 2010
Hi,
I'm playing with a small home lab. I would like to use ceph to ensure that I have replicated vm's for reduncancy.

I have 2 servers , each with 1 HDD.
The first server (HP microserver) with 16gb ram has been running Proxmox for years, hand cranked from Debian running LVM on a 500G SATA HDD
The second server is a Lenovo Xeon Workstation with 24gb ram which is clean install 7.2 with ZFS on a 1TB SATA HDD
Both are connected to a gb managed switch

I assumed that I could just resize the LVM, drop in a ZFS partition and get sharing (which I tried), but after some reading I found that only ZFS over ISCSI and CEPH support replication that I want.

So on the HP microserver I destroyed the ZFS partition and started making CEPH OSD storage.

At this point I'm feeling out of my depth. I need to resize the ZFS on the Lenovo to add Ceph storage. But I am fed up of going in circles. Should I drop this as an endeavour ? I've learnt a bit about ZFS, but I have no desire to run it over ISCSI and I don't have a SAN and Ceph seems more suited to converged CPU/Storage Virtualisation.

Has anyone done this please ?

My idea is that on each server I have a 200GB Proxmox OS partition and a 300GB CEPH data store for VM's. I know the set up is far from ideal; one low power cpu, one high, no dedicated cluster network, but each server has a reasonable amount of RAM and it is neither production, nor high workload.

Any input would be appreciated.
Cheers

For ceph you need atleast 3 PVE nodes, better more, to have quorum. And your nodes should be connnected by atleast 10Gbit NICs with a dedicated gbit NIC just for cluster communication.
ZFS with replication still would work for HA with just two nodes but you would loose the last few minutes of data when a node is failing as its not a real shared storage like ceph or NFS would be. Running both nodes guests of a NFS share would be another option but then there is no redundancy. As soon as the host running the NFS server would fail, both nodes would.be unusable.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!