New to Proxmox user running before they crawl :)

ghstudio

Nov 7, 2020
I have a new NUC7i5 with 32mb memory and 1tb storage and I think/hope Proxmox is the key to what I want to do. The hardware limitations I'm concerned about: one graphics adapter with one display (my TV) and one ethernet port.

I would like to run the following on the NUC:

1) home assistant supervised
2) pfsense to create an openvpn router for all users in my home
3) Kodi to consolidate my home theater subscriptions (roku replacement)
plus some other apps which can be installed different ways so they aren't big issues
4) ad blocking
5) a small samba server for backups and data sharing

My thought:

1 VM running home assistant NUC container
1 VM running Debian 10/docker/Kodi. The alternative is to run a libreelec container (if possible)
1 VM running pfsense with ad blocking and router on a stick using a managed ethernet switch

The graphics adapter must be assigned to the debian 10 VM.....I will manage everything else through web interfaces and/or ssh.

The network is also a challenge...but for the sake of the proxmox endeavor, Assume it's a mesh network on the LAN side connecting to a FIOS WAN router.

Can I do all this with Proxmox? Of course the next question is how :)

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!