New Proxmox VE Kernels (2.6.18 - 2.6.24 - 2.6.32) [UPDATE]

Re: New Proxmox VE Kernels (2.6.18 - 2.6.24 - 2.6.32)

Hello,

will the 2.6.18 kernel syncronized with the openvz 2.6.18 kernel?

for about two weeks now there is the new 2.6.18 kernel around (164.11.1.el5.028stab068.3) which includes support for signalfd, which is needed for new guest systems like ubuntu karmic and lucid.

is this incorporated?

best
Ray

the latest openvz kernel does not work well with KVM, therefore its not released yet, as soon as this is solved we will publish it.

Hi Tom,

thank you for your answer, I have another question, are the proxmox kernels tickless and how is the High Resolution Timer set (1000hz?)?

thank you,
best
Ray

Hi Dietmar,

Yes, you are right, i guess i was to lazy to look on the source,

best
Ray

OpenVZ on 2.6.32 is highly experimental and brand new, so currently we do not integrate it as we need quite stable OpenVZ.

Sorry to ask again, but any news about 2.6.32 and openvz?

Now debian has linux-image-2.6.32-openvz in unstable!

Thanks,
Mario

we have a news page here, just read it and you got all our news...
(openvz is unstable in 2.6.32, that's the current situation)

hi
my question from a conservative sysadmin point of view: which is the supported and stable kernel for hosting KVM?

thank you
hk

hi
my question from a conservative sysadmin point of view: which is the supported and stable kernel for hosting KVM?

thank you
hk
Hi,
i run two nodes in a cluster with 2.6.32 for kvm only since release of 1.5 without issues.
The nodes are 102 and 98 days up from now. For me look the 2.6.32 not unstable...

Udo

yes. 2.6.32 is the way to go. as redhat6, ubuntu lucid and also squeeze already selected 2.6.32 you can expect a quite good maintained kernel branch.
if you install a new system, go for the kernel in the pvetest repository (with kvm 0.12.3). we plan to move this kernel to the stable repo soon - if you still need openvz on this host, go for the 2.6.24, also with kvm 0.12.3 (pvetest).

but be prepared, 2.6.24 will be end of support as soon as OpenVZ is stable for 2.6.32 -when? maybe next year. maybe with the release of Debian Squeeze, but who knows when Squeeze is stable, hopefully mid of year.

hi
ok so for KVM based solutions 2.6.32.

but when and where will we get the much needed support for cpuunits, ioprio and cpus in another openvz-kernel-branch - as I get it only 2.6.18 is supported here (though I have my doubts ioprio is working on non ovz-kernels).

thank you in advance
harald kapper

yes. 2.6.32 is the way to go.

i'm using 2.6.18, as i have problems with live-migration using 2.6.32 (see thread: http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/3334)

if you install a new system, go for the kernel in the pvetest repository (with kvm 0.12.3). we plan to move this kernel to the stable repo soon

what are the differences to the current stable 2.6.32? was the issue above addressed? is there a changelog?

but when and where will we get the much needed support for cpuunits, ioprio and cpus in another openvz-kernel-branch - as I get it only 2.6.18 is supported here (though I have my doubts ioprio is working on non ovz-kernels).

There is a hint in the OpenVZ bug tracker that they will implement this for 2.6.32 - but I do not know there schedule, hopefully soon.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!