New proxmox deploy - is this way to go with disks?

damjank

Apr 2, 2020
Hey guys,

I am building my first production Proxmox - not my first virt mind you, but costs are astronomical with 'other' virtualization options. Anyway.

I have specific needs and specific setup - regarding the setup, lets leave that. My question is this - from your experience - is this 'best' setup regarding the disks?

3 x 6TB SATA in ZFS RAID-Z1 - only form movies and images, nothing else, speed is not a big consern but would like data securiy at least to some degree (media content)
1 x 512 SSD for proxmox installation itself - ZFS (sys and logs and ISOs)
1 x 1TB NVMe for VMs and containers - ZFS (prod machines)
1 x 3TB SATA for backup - ZFS (backups of configs and raw data as DBs and such)

Now I know about ZFS but only ever used 1 disk in it, some clients have 3,4,5 disks - up untill now all good but - before I spend like weeks finding best option with theese disks, can you confirm or suggest better option? Thx guys in advance!

very good then, if no objections on this subject, I am proceeding forward with this. thanks for confirmation!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!