Network setup at Hetzner on dedicated server

smokes

Apr 11, 2020
Hi,

In the past few days i have tried installing Proxmox on my dedicated server running Debian 10. However i have had some major issues creating the bridged network.

I have been using the script from this post: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/s...-and-6-x-on-a-dedicated-hetzner-server.56106/

However the network config is not being configured correctly. I can access the web GUI and all. But i cannot for the life of me create a bridged connection.
When i change the config and reboot the server i can no longer ping the server. So i have to go into rescue and change the config back

I tried this config :
(assume the following details instead of my own)
My IP: 6.5.80.195
Gateway: 6.5.80.193
Netmask: 255.255.255.224
Broadcast: 6.5.80.223

I know my config says netmask 255.255.255.255, but that is what Hetzner instructs in their guide here:
https://community.hetzner.com/tutorials/install-and-configure-proxmox_ve?title=Proxmox_VE/en

On my default interfaces config the port was called enp3s0, But i think that i should be using eth0 ?

Code:
# /etc/network/interfaces
### Hetzner Online GmbH - installimage
# Loopback device:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
       address 6.5.80.195
       netmask 255.255.255.255
       pointopoint 6.5.80.193
       gateway 6.5.80.193
       bridge_ports eth0
       bridge_stp off
       bridge_fd 1
       bridge_hello 2
       bridge_maxage 12

# for a subnet
auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet static
       address 10.10.10.1
       netmask 255.255.255.0
       bridge_ports none
       bridge_stp off
       bridge_fd 0

Am i missing something? Is bridge the best way to go on a dedicated server?

I am planning a few VM's. 1 for a webapp, 1 for Nginx, 1VM to run a few dockers and that is about it.
I don't know what is best practice in this scenario. If anyone has advance or could let me know what the hell is up with my config then i would be very happy.!
I have tried so many different changes and settings and nothing seems to work. As soon as i reboot the server is unresponsive. :(

Thanks in advance!

Hi!

As soon as i reboot the server is unresponsive.
Even though there are other possibilities, rebooting the Proxmox VE host is the most straightforward way to ensure your settings are really applied.

On my default interfaces config the port was called enp3s0, But i think that i should be using eth0 ?
This depends on the name of your NIC. You should use something like ip to find that out.

Did you already see our guide on choosing a network configuration? It might be helpful to compare this with the Hetzner guide.

Last edited:
I will have to try this with my dedicated server. I have bought it just because the offer was too good to pass by. I had different hosting and it was ok, but I knew that dedicated servers are much better. I saw an offer for cheap dedicated servers on GTHost. They are selling those for really good prices, on other websites they are selling them for double the price. That was what was keeping me from getting one. With their dedicated servers you will get really fast reliable connection that will never let you down. This is not the case where for cheap you get bad stuff, they are using the best components and they keep upgrading.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!