Network is unreachable

Garu Chan

Jul 1, 2017
Hello, noob here, I've tried many of the solutions listed but can't figure it out.

I'm installing proxmox onto an old dell optiplex I have connected to my shitty AT&T modem. I set the computer's ip to static and set the ip in proxmox when installing to the same ip (I left the rest to default). Pinging any website by the domain name results in it saying "unknown host" and pinging any ip says "Network is Unreachable. The modem gateway says that the computer isnt connected either.

Any help would be appreciated!

Hello, noob here, I've tried many of the solutions listed but can't figure it out.

I'm installing proxmox onto an old dell optiplex I have connected to my shitty AT&T modem. I set the computer's ip to static and set the ip in proxmox when installing to the same ip (I left the rest to default). Pinging any website by the domain name results in it saying "unknown host" and pinging any ip says "Network is Unreachable. The modem gateway says that the computer isnt connected either.

Any help would be appreciated!
Hi,
you use the ip address twice?
Dont know at&t modems, but if it's an real modem and not an router, you must configure pppoe or so (depends on your isp).
An normal pve-installation assume an normal routed network.

Udo

Hi,
you use the ip address twice?
Dont know at&t modems, but if it's an real modem and not an router, you must configure pppoe or so (depends on your isp).
An normal pve-installation assume an normal routed network.

Udo
Thanks Udo, had to unexpectedly go out of town but I'm back.

Im not using the same address twice, I just have the modem statically set the ip for the server using the IP I manually set in the promox installation.

I don't see any settings for pppoe on my modem (model no: 3801HGV). I have a TP-Link (model no: TL-WR841N) router I can have the proxmox server connect to instead though, I just didn't want to have to re-route my cable (stupid me!) think that would be a solution?

EDIT: also, when you say it assumes I have a normal routed network, what would that entail?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!